R180/R190 LSD?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

R180/R190 LSD?

Post by asavage »

Anybody have any info on adding Limited Slip Differential (LSD) capability to the Maxima IRS diff? Since the basic R180 is used in so many different Nissan applications, this should be straightforward.

How about adding LSD to the R190 (Wagon) diff? Something from one of the trucks? Any drivetrain folks out there?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Is the IRS R200 rear diff. limited slip? Anyone know this?

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I've read that the R200 is available in LSD -- but that it's very expensive.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

R180 is common in older vehicles-PRE 1985.and new subaru cars..also the front diff in pickup.
LSD-locker.etc etc are around.they are also made new by lots of aftermarket companies to order.

R200 long nose is pre 1993'aprox.these will fit,and LSD is common.you may have to modify the driveshafts and rear mounting to suit.late model R200 have a short pinion shaft they can be made to fit but not worth the hassels.center is the same.Z cars tend to have oil coolers.

H190-LSD are available.they come originally in the 720 pickups.hard to find as most are fitted with the salisbury type C200.australian companies are making them for bluebird/stanza etc.im guessing that the maxima has the 4 pinion center with larger fine spline axles as used in cedric and vans.
the 910 bluebird uses 2 different smaller axles.so you have to count and measure.sometimes it easier to make 2 new halfshafts to order.

I believe that the H190 is borgwarner.the australian and southafrican nissans use a locally made BW salisbury type 70 and 78 series diffs.but in some counties the the H190 is also refered to as borgwarner and they share lots of internal parts..
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Any news on this front? My Maxi's rear end whines, leaks, clicks and clunks, so I want to replace it with some kind of LSD system to help grab the snow in the winter.
Also while im at it I may want to dump or rebuild the old halfshafts.

I see a expensive LSD r160 on ebay- Click here

The ratio would sure as hell pull good or better accleration, but im not too sure if thats all that smart because I might lose alot of fuel economy. Also that rear end has the stub shafts for the u-joint halfshafts used in some z car, dont remember the year. The u-joints would also need some custom work done to them to make them fit, the bolt patterns on the u joints are different than the cv joint bolt pattern on the maxi's hub.

Im looking for something thatll just bolt together without having to make custom brackets.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I've heard that the R160s out of Subarus are the best bet for our cars.

Only some were LS, but are pretty widely available in the JYs.

The XTs and a few other Subys from the late 80s are supposed to be the best.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Is the r-180A and r-200A the same differential as the r-180 and the r-200?, I tried a brief google search, which yielded a small tidbit on 4x4 parts.com forums, I was wondering if anybody knows if the guts are the same?

Its good to know, in case I break another differential, and if I ever wanted to dream, arb locker, listed under the first 2 on nissan. :D Just kidding, a grand is a whole lot to have that little bit of extra traction.

Some of the newer vehicles must have some kind of limited slip in it, which would trigger me to pull one off a JY vehicle and install it in my car. Affordable solution to a very expensive want.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Limited slip has fallen out of favor. Traction control, which is cheaper and integrates with ABS is what I'm seeing a lot of.
SoCalanz

R180/R190 LSD?

Post by SoCalanz »

The 300ZX turbo (model year unknown) had the LSD R200. I remember helping my brother in law get one from a white turbo ZX in the JY but I cannot remember the year. A Z guru would know. I have a Z but I am far from a guru.
Trying to catch some Zs? Keep on dreaming.

1983 Maxima Diesel Wagon
1992 Suburu SVX, Lsi, AWD
1995 Suburu SVX L, AWD
1972 Datsun 240z, highly modified
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

asavage wrote:Limited slip has fallen out of favor. Traction control, which is cheaper and integrates with ABS is what I'm seeing a lot of.
That is true, even tho im not a big fan of the traction control that utilizes the brakes to simulate a limited slip. It meets the demands of new car drivers though.

I think the traction control is worse than having a open diff, id rather be spinning them and digging trenches than not moving anywhere at all.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
dlh

Post by dlh »

The z31---('84-89 models). The turbo 300zx 4/87 built date till '89 had the r-200 lsd. The '88 300zxt Shiro edition had a viscous lsd. Not to compatible without special axles.

I don't know what kind of mods you would have to do on a maxima to use an r-200.

http://www.hybridz.org (group buys) has a thread for the lsd inserts for both r-180 and r-200. The group buy is over with, but the info is still on there.

zmanco bought the r-80 insert and installed himself in his own housing with the 4.11 rearend.

Here is the start of page 8 or 9 of the group buy.
http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.ph ... 077&page=8

It was changed to a "power brute" group buy. Quaife was too much money for us z car cheapskates.
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

looks like a new LSD is around US$1000.

lots of different types.and styles,it s cheeper here to fit a rear axle from another make of car the shares the same width and brakes.

traction control.
some manufactures incorperate it into the ignition or the abs.
but the real rear drive vehicles still use a LSD as part of the system.
most of the new LSD wont lock up if your stuck on a grass lawn.you need the abs to apply so the LSD clutch will engage.

for a IRS nissan you buy a cheep japanese diff and convert your car to CV joint half axles.R30 skyline [iron mask] with FJ20ET will have as standard R200 4 pinion LSD CV axles and vented disc.these are not rare.the rear end shares the 910 mounting points-the basic R30 skyline will have similar track and suspension .these come in lots of horse power grades but i not bother to go over board.i would stay with the drum rear my self.

the rear mount and brakes are slightly different on the later R200 fitted cars and if you use a 300 Z type it moslty will have the oil cooler pump setup.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
dlh

Post by dlh »

The north american market never get the neat gizmos other areas have. No differential oil cooler, no z32 twin turbo 2+2, no skylines.
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Lol, yeah, we dont get what some other areas do get, I wonder how this skyline is, it sounds like it rips.

The quaife LSD costs way too much and is far far out of my budget. For the price of a Quaife id rather buy a r180a air locker from ARB and do whatever it takes to put it in.

My idea was to take the diff off of some car that had a r-180a that could possibly be equipped with a LSD, there has to be one out there, and purchase it in a JY where it would be cheaper, in the range of -250 dollars, I like having traction, but I dont really need it all that much.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Well as much as we complain about the cool stuff we didn't / can't get other countries do the same about American automobiles.

I know some guys in France who drool over American muscle cars, and it's not just a few people, there's a lot of interest in American muscle there.

I think it's closer to say that everyone wants what they didn't get from the other guys through importation....at least I know I do.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!