Structural rails

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

Structural rails

Post by rlaggren »

I got 1/2 under the car yesterday and tried to clarify the rust damage. For some reason it looks like the floor pans and other sheet metal are pretty much intact, but there are about 3 or 4 rust outs in the structural rails. I can't post pics until I can raise the car and get fully under. Briefly, it look like I need to add some metal around the rear spring mount on the drivers side ASAP. I'll post pics and more info when I can get properly under the car.

But there is a peculiarity in the rail design which I'm curious about and is really why I'm posting. The drivers side seems to have a half rail extending back only to about the rear passenger floor while the right side has a rail the full length of the car. Seems strange to have one side supported the full length of the car while the other is only supported under the driver.

Would appreciate it if somebody w/a wagon would cast a glance under their car and see if it looks like I've described or if I missed something or have some kind of weird construction here. It does look like OEM work but that short rail looks really "different". Or maybe I just didn't get a good line of sight - I didn't try to scrunch under the right side liike I did the drivers side.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I think it may have to do with the engine rotation, and mabye, just mabye, to stop body flex at open throttle.

I doubt it though, becuase I dont think this engine has enough hp to actually twist it, but that is my guess.

It is a bit odd that one rail only goes alittle bit and the other one goes much farther.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

While I have an '82 Wagon, getting underneath it is not in the cards -- we have snow, and rain, sideways: storm.

Meanwhile, Nissan FAST has provided these Wagon views:

(click on any image for larger)
Image Image Image Image Image

Don't take these illustrations as gospel -- they are representative only.

As I've noted before, the floor pan is a different part No. in 1982 and in 1983, reflecting (at least) the different tunnel shape and mount points to accommodate the fatter OD transmission and the coil spring rear on the Wagon.

The part Ref. No. 74370 is called out as "PROTECTOR-PIPING" and has a listed Qty. of two.

BTW, if you run a 'doze box, you can load Nissan FAST yourself. Since you own one and all, you might get some benefit. WARNING: it ain't easy to set up or use. However, once it's loaded, the online Help is better than average, even if the program is laid out like drunk monks wrote it.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Well, the next to last pic shows the front half of the car (if I got it figured out right). I think I can see the left rail "dying" into the floor pan while the right rail is just chopped in a box section which looks like it gets connected to another similar section continuing on toward the rear - although I can't decypher the other pics enough to find it. If correct, that corresponds to what I saw so I guess the Maxima is a lopsided car. <g>

I'll download the FAST pgm but I don't expect to spend any time there for a while. The FSM currently on ebay should be coming my way shortly and that will get some immediate use.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

74330-seat base-is a structural member.and a box setion at the join in the rear floors.

the front chasis extension stops on the left side for clearance of the cat-convertor,i would think this assists with heat transfer from under the car.

the right side is to protect the brake/fuel lines.LPG lines[FACTORY] are also run inside the rail as it shouldnt be run near the drive shaft.
this would have some assistance to body ridgidity but i dont expent this is a primary purpose of the rail.

these inner front floor rail extensions are not shown in the body alignment in the FSM.it stops 1.1 meter from the axle center.
the 1980's R30 skyline looks similar under the car,the FSM shows the rails angling out to the sills.i have to find one as i thought they are the same as 910.

the 1984 laurel/skyline has a full length rail both sides.it is made up from short sections so i dont believe it is anything other than noise control.
it has weild nuts to fix noise reduction items for the diesel model.
within this rails are the same short rail on the left side.it has more members on the inside of the floor.

64836P-is this a splash tray section at the front.bluebird has an under tray the buts up aginst the supension mounts.

the australian model has an extra 100Kg+ added to the body shell over the japanese model.i know that you dont have lapsash belts in the rear so im guessing that you cars dont have the added box sections in the B-C post and do they have intrusion bars in the doors?and child seat anchors in the rear.

it was common in the 80's on TV to show cars getting crash tested.
some testing shown was the added box sections needed to reduce side impact intrusion over that of the standard crash test.seat failures in cars that met the standards had been a target as well with a current afair programs.many seats of the time had seat belts ixed to them.the seats broke away from the floor.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Hmm. Structure for for protecting fluid lines, sound deadening, interior anchoring and crash intrusion. Sounds like they just kept adding another section as each problem appeared. <g>

73330 is inside the car, right? That pic looks like all interior stuff. When I look under, I thought the .... Ah. The diesel has a different exhaust system from the gasser. Was going to say I didn't seen anything needed clearance on the drivers side... <g>

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

rlaggren wrote: 73330 is inside the car, right?
Rufus
Yep it is, it holds up the back part of the ECU

..well for the gasser it does, the diesel dosent have a ECU right?

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

rlaggren wrote:The diesel has a different exhaust system from the gasser.
Some interesting pics of the diesel exhaust are here.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Sweet.........that gasser exhaust system is just bizarre but I did pull a 15.9 quarter mile ouf of it in stock form.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Thats decently quick!

Your maxima isnt bone stock right?

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Structural rails

Post by asavage »

rlaggren wrote:The drivers side seems to have a half rail extending back only to about the rear passenger floor while the right side has a rail the full length of the car.

Would appreciate it if somebody w/a wagon would cast a glance under their car and see if it looks like I've described . . .
I'm replacing the AT shifter linkage bushings in my '82 Wagon, and am underneath it. It looks as you've described. No reason for the rail length discrepancy that I can suss.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

there is a reason for it.
if someone can track down the new model release dealer training paper work it in there as a design plus.

i had a copy for 910-it describes items of mechanical interest and items like the visability improvemenmts for the driver and how much air the air conditioning flows.you find items like the use of rust proof steel and noise ruduction items listed.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
rlaggren

Technical Documentation

Post by rlaggren »

if someone can track down the new model release dealer training paper work it in there as a design plus.
Now that would take a bit of detective work. <g>
82 Maxima wagon
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Stock except with 280zx turbo manifolds and turbo bolted on.

Probably could take almost .750 off of that time with just 500rpm stall speed as I don't get boost until 2 seconds into the trip while the extra 500rpms would net a launch with boost.