door hinge repair

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

door hinge repair

Post by kassim503 »

I am planning on repairing my drivers side hinge pin and bushings using some nice brass bushings and a quick release pin, but when I went about doing it, I realized it may not be possible to take the door off without cutting the pin that holds the door from folding onto the fender. The bolts probably go to a flange, on the inside of the door, so I cant just unbolt it and call it a day. It dosent look like shes gonna go easy. Anybody have any ideas or tips without hammering out the pin, cause I cant seem to find one at the hardware store.

I took off a door on a camry while parting it out, but I just oxy torched the latch off after getting frustrated. Lol

Not a high priority thing yet, it still closes, but I can feel it rub on the hook on the B pillar. Also its cold and snowy.

This is all part of my christmas project lineup, so I might just wait till then, so I can use my heated 2 door garage in stony brook. And its warm there
:)
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I don't do _lot_ of body work but I don't recall any doors that are permanently (one way or another) attached. IOW, are you sure you're really stuck? Most all hinge stuff I've seen including restraining straps, hanges, etc comes off fairly reasonably if not willingly. I'll look at the door next time I'm in the car. I think I recall the Hondas and maybe the Fords just use gravity to hold in the pin the secures the limiting strap.

Is brass tough enough for this use? Does the door actuallly move much on the pin? (In the "wrong" way, that is.) Or is something else introducing play?

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Actually that is true, most door pins either have a small pinch at the bottom, or a circlip, or in fords case, they have little teeth at the top of the pin just to give it a minimal amount of bite, so they wont work their way up, or fall out if you enter it in a tough truck competition.

I think you are right, from waht I remembered from this morning, I can probably knock the pin out using a hammer to seperate the hinges, but I need the hinges off to re-drill it to accomidate the bushing, and a 5/16th bolt, and the old size looks like its a bit too small to just hammer it in.

Brass bushings seem to do well in this application, usually OEM setups use brass or plastic, in our maximas case, its plastic, which got chewed through

I finally found the pic of my problem, Its this thing that I have problems with, I dont wanna hurt the pin by cutting or hammering it out, cause I dont think I can find a professional looking replacement

door stop
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

In the photo it looks like simply removing the bolt would free the limit strap; actually it looks like a "fresh" bolt, like it's already been replaced. Are you afraid something (nut) would fall off inside the jam? Seems like I've removed these w/out problems; and I've seen welded nuts behind hinges and other sructure. If there's anything weird the FSM should mention it, right?

While you're at it maybe you could drill a 1/32 hole in the hinge and bushing and use it to inject some grease once in a while w/a needle attachment - easier than pulling the pins.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon