Speedo gear change

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Speedo gear change

Post by kassim503 »

I actually found out that Nissan still pumps these speedo gears out, under the name Speedometer Pinion, which is probably the proper name for these. They come in sizes from 16 tooth all the way to 23 tooth.

Obiously I need one, so I can finally liberate myself from subtracting 10 while driving, and driving on the highway using the tach. I was wondering, do I need to change the inside gear if im switching tooth counts on the speedo pinion? I dont wanna jam one in and drive, later to have a completley non functional speedo and chunks of plastic in my trans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it seems like I also have to purchase a new body for it, if im jumping over 19 teeth, because of some kind of clearance problem from the bigger cogs.

Also, this may not be possible to do, but is there any way to figure out what tooth gear I would need if I have 4.111 gearing in the back?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
dlh

Post by dlh »

The gear on the main shaft of the transmission is ok. Like you mentioned before, there might be a different carrier for the cog for use on a 4.11. I am not sure about that.

Here's a list of cogs needed for different rear end ratios.

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/ratio.html

Here is another site that has more info regarding the carriers and cogs.

http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/index.htm

After reading the info again on the last web site, you may still be able to use the same carrier. The differences in the carriers, at least on manual transmissions is the flat that the keeper locks onto to keep the carrier in the tranny.

We can use the early 5 spd carrier in a late 5 spd by notching it again and rotating 180°.
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

late model "B"5 speeds and autos use the same carrier for 18-19 teeth and another for 20-21 teeth.

"C"transmissions have a different part number-i have use the old drives in new boxes.I looked up part numbers for S12/silvia 200SX tonight.my 910 books dont include part numbers for these.in june 1986 the S12 the changed over to a skyline "C" type gear box.in the change over months both part numbers are listed for both types of gear box-this confirms for me that there the same.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Well, this works perfect! Im going to the pull-a-part tommorow, gonna try pulling a 20 tooth, and a 75-80 cog body, because I think they have different gear head sizes for the higher tooth gears, so they can maintain gear tooth speration so it wont grind nothing up when people replace their 3.64's to 4.11's like me :lol:

I found this on nissan courtesy parts and it says it needs another body for the 20-23 tooth, so im assuming its a 75-80 body. See what the JY yields, hopefully itll be a find, its gonna have a bit of snow on the ground, but ice is better than water and oily mud.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Where did you get your rearend?

I took my gear out of the 200SX that donated the rearend.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I have a reverse cut 720 front pumpkin in. If you are planning on running it for eons and eons, id expect that the gears will wear a little or the bearings from more load.

Was it from a R180 SX? Im guessing the R200 innards wont fit, I wanna change over to a foward cut gear whenever I blow the spider gears out of this one. Mabye ill switch over to 3.90 or 3.70, the engine starts to drone if I go over highway speed.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012