Small overheating problem

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Yeah, I never turn the book unless its a flip out, I call it upside down
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Im suspecting a bad dome light controller, I took it over a couple of bumps and flexed the car thru the whole range, and no lights where flickering. The switches seem to be working properly as well, well the drivers side, the passenger side is worn to a open circuit.

The fsm states that the Interior lamp timer is in the drivers door? The only thing that i cant understand is I have something labeled the "dome light controller" or something of the sort under the drivers seat.

According to the wire harness diagram on EL-166, it shows connectors 99M and 79M going to the drivers side floor pan, 99m reads interoir lamp timer (SL model) and 79M says to door harness LH (SL model). I also have to look at 98M, the illumination control relay, it may be sticking on and off or something.

Im thinking I have a SL model? I think there was a dx and a sl, the sl being badged as the maxima, and the dx as the one nobody bought and was badged as the 810

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Follow up with the mind of its own interior lighting. Drove down from buffalo to stony brook 2 weekends ago, a 600 mile trip or so, so I had alot of time to notice all the little its and bits that are broke in the car, irratic step lamps lighting dimly, and at its worst, the voice warning went off a couple of times.

Inspected the door switches, and it was just what I was expecting- Salt and water was conducting small amounts of electricity over to make the system light the warning lights dimly. Cleaned all 4 with water, wire brush, and coated it in silicone spray. The problems where coming out of the rear drivers side switch. Now all but the drivers door switches dont work, dont mind one bit though. Drove a good 1500 miles since then, with no problems.

Washed the switch holes out and rockers out, got a good amount of salt and sand out, should be a-ok until next winter.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I was wondering, has anybody removed the plastic trim that runs across the top of the windshield that appears to be keeping the headliner taught. I removed and resealed my windshield a few weeks ago and im getting a leak from the top. It appears to be leaking through the metal, I brushed it with the grinder to clean off rust that the wirebrush was having trouble chewing off, and I think I probably blew a pinhole sized hole in the suspected area, IIRC the rust was pretty thick in that area.

The trim appears to be held in by either many strong clips that I cant see, or its held in by a pretty strong adhesive.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012