Right Rear disc brakes....

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

bcdivad

Right Rear disc brakes....

Post by bcdivad »

My car-- 82 Maxima diesel. 123K. purchased it about 3 years ago.
Since I've owned it I've gone through two calipers' probably four sets of pads and at least two rotors. All in 40k.
Pads only last about 9k on the average.
Replaced a caliper about two years ago and replaced it again a month ago.
For some reason the caliper doesn't seem to reset and keeps pressure on the pads wearing them out.
Replaced the calipers because both were frozen. Also replaced the flex brake lines at the same time of the last caliper replacement on BOTH sides.
I don't use the E-brake and it seems loose at the caliper lever.
Seems to be growling again also. After about a month.
This is getting anoying big time.
Thanks ......
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

There is a little nub at the bottom of the backing of the caliper, I think it gets jammed in the piston's slots. I shave em off when I change the pads.

My calipers are busted tho, they are starting to grumble around turns and at low speeds when hot.

How is the condition of your rotors? Rough rotors can create grumble and shorten the life of the pads.

Are you getting a low quality caliper?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
bcdivad

Post by bcdivad »

What are considered quality calipers??
Got both from NAPA to the tune of $106.00 each.
Rotors are/were in good shape till the pads wore out and started rubbing.
So far I had it figured out to just replace the pads at about 9000 miles and press on.
This time even with a new caliper it didn't get that far.
I'm about ready to crimp off the hyd line to the caliper and forget it.
I don't think it has anything to do with the nub as you call it.
I've replaced the pads on the left side and they're still doing fine;
It's just the right side that has been giving me fits since I got the car.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

bcdivad wrote: Got both from NAPA to the tune of $106.00 each.
Napa's good, and for 106 a pop theyd better last much longer than 20k per caliper.
Pads only last about 9k on the average.
My rear pads last about 14k, or about once a year. The calipers are probably being stuck on, prematurely wearing pads and burning calipers.

Cruise around and touch the caliper, I can go thru light in town driving without getting the rear brakes hot enough to burn me.
I'm about ready to crimp off the hyd line to the caliper and forget it.
I would strongly advise against this, because I do know the rear brakes do assist in stopping during hard braking. But if your doing it, put a plug in it instead of crimping it. And dress it up nice cause I think itll fail the NYS safety inspection.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

I've been running Maxima diesels for over 20 years (Dec 1986) and have never had such trouble. Only a few things can cause these problems:

1) Hand brake not releasing.
If you use your handbrake often, you need to jack up each wheel and see if the handbrake is actually releasing. Grab the lever on the back of the caliper and see if by moving it, the brake will come on.
Many times the handbrake cable is bad (hangs up) or has moisture in it and when it is freezing.... I personally do not use the handbrakes and the cables are all froze up on all my cars, years ago.

2) Brake hose swelled shut. The hole in the center of the hose is about 1/16th of an inch, size of a worn pencil point. This can happen over time where the hose ends are crimped on. Take the brake hose off and see if you can blow through it with your mouth.

3) Brake fluid contaminated with oil and swells rubber seals or orings, in addition to brake hoses. This can be from years ago and be in the brake line.

4) Moisture in the brake fluid. Brake fluid naturally atracts water, on the back of a brake fluid jug it will tell you about that. Maybe moisture is making the pistons rust prematurely.

The nub on the brake pad is not your problem. When you crank the piston back in it generally takes all the pressure you have pushing on it while you twist it. I made a tool years ago out of a C clamp and took the swivel off it, ground the knob (that holds the swivel on there) square and use the 6 sided tool to crank the piston in.

After driving the car when you get a chance put your hand on each wheel (center) to determine which one is hot. If one is considerably hotter than the others, jack up the wheel while hot, open brake bleeder screw momentarily. If it frees up then the caliper is ok, and you have a brake hose problem. If nothing happens, then it is the handbrake or caliper.

If none of this pans out, change brands of parts. Over the years I have had to discontinue selling certain brands of parts, because some buyer from the company decides he can get a different componant someplace else cheaper. (water pump bearings from China is a good example) I'm not saying these calipers should last forever, but a used one should last a few years and a rebuilt one should last better than five years. I think it helps if the car is a daily driver and not used occasionally. Finally I have found that the left caliper lasts longer than the right. (most likely more water on the right side than the center on a crowned road.)
bcdivad

Post by bcdivad »

Brake hoses and new caliper installed about a month ago.
Don't use E-brake. NEVER have on this car. It's an auto. The only times I have used the E-brake is with my stick vehicles.
Installed new pads this afternoon and DISCONNECTED the E-brake
cable to the right caliper. Gonna run it for awhile and see what happens.

Getting tired of sticking my head in the wheelwell of this thing.
Can't really complain though. It's been a good car. Cept for the r/r
caliper.
Starts and runs GREAT everytime I ask it to.