How to Turn Engine Manually?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

asavage wrote:Or, the gear reduction unit may be worn.

Vic, don't turn in your old starter as a core! Keep it for a few weeks until you're certain the reman unit is going to keep working.
Good point, Al that was thinking on your feet.

How much is the core? If its cheap I wouldnt even bother returning it and rebuilding it (or just keep it to collect dust, paperweight, boat anchor, etc..) I don't really like remans cause of the possibility of getting a poorly built one.

Its good that you have a two year warranty, keep the paperwork, hopefully it wont break though.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I don't believe that you can turn the crank nut from the bottom without first removing the plastic splash shield
When I did it it was real close (touching lightly) but nothing deflecting and straight socket engagement. I'll check to make sure there _is_ a splash guard on my car, but I think there is. You slide the ratchet assembly in from the side first IRCC.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I don't believe that you can turn the crank nut from the bottom without first removing the plastic splash shield (six No. 3 phillips head screws).
I got under it this weekend changing oil and it looks like I in fact may _not_ have a splash guard there. The fan shroud does reach around the bottom but I assume the splash guard is a flat piece that hides the pulleys and belts from below. Didn't dirty the manual but it looks like another JY item.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

rlaggren wrote:I got under it this weekend changing oil and it looks like I in fact may _not_ have a splash guard there. The fan shroud does reach around the bottom but I assume the splash guard is a flat piece that hides the pulleys and belts from below. Didn't dirty the manual but it looks like another JY item.

Rufus
Thats too bad, but its actually dish shaped rather than flat, and hangs down pretty low, same level as the pan and rack at its lowest (mabye even lower). Dont wanna get the wrong part if you find one at the JY. I dont think its a problem without one though, the only thing that should be kept dry around there is the alternator, and on the diesel its on the drivers side (less puddles on the drivers).
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I figure if I get it off the same model car, it'll probably fit. <g> The burned out max whence I got the hood emblem may have one. Gotta go get some barn doors for the van anyway...

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon