How to open a stuck Gen 1 Maxima trunk?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

goglio704

How to open a stuck Gen 1 Maxima trunk?

Post by goglio704 »

The trunk lid on my silver Maxima is stuck. The car was rear ended pretty hard by a semi truck. Neither the key or the inside release will work. The key won't turn, but the lock is undamaged - at least from the outside.

Other than brute force and awkwardness, how would I get in? IIRC the rear seats are retained from inside the trunk, so that won't work. I suppose I could cut an access hole in the lid since it is ruined anyway. I thought somebody might have another idea. I've got nothing better to do. Sitting here medicated and all.

:roll:
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Dr. Jones

Seats

Post by Dr. Jones »

If I remember correctly I took out the bottom of the seat (butt part) and then released two bolts and lifted it out. I have a 82 sedan. I like your idea better though. Whatever car I took the backseat out of, to get into the trunk, it was a pain.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

oh no, did the quarter panels crease?

When hooligans popped my trunk lock, i rememberd they ripped the lock out and the lock was simply connected to a rod which opened the trunk. You could try popping the lock and doing that, but it is very destructive on the lock and breaking it makes a easy job become a pita.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Nope, it didn't hurt the quarter panels, and it didn't break the tail lights. At least not from what I can tell. The trunk lid, bumper, and panel that holds the license plate are all damaged. There was something on the truck's bumper that protruded. It made contact just left of the license plate and shoved that panel in. Had it not been for that protrusion, the damage might have been confined to the bumper. I have to take some pics anyway. I'll post 'em up eventually.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Matt, did you ever get your trunk open?

On another note, but is a stuck trunk. A friend of mine acquired a nice 86 Buick Regal, only thing is that the trunk is stuck. Key goes in, key turns, linkage appears to have popped off, much like the linkage on the drivers side door handle. Is there any way of me getting the trunk to open without drilling or cutting? This one is way too clean to be choppin holes into
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

kassim503 wrote:86 Buick Regal, only thing is that the trunk is stuck. Key goes in, key turns, linkage appears to have popped off. Is there any way of me getting the trunk to open without drilling or cutting?
No. Drill the lock, punch out the back of the lock housing,use a screwdriver to operate the latch. If you're lucky, the latch still works.

This is a problem primarily with the power trunk release versions.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I finally got the trunk lid open. I turned the key as hard as I dared while rattling the lid up and down as far as it would go. The key finally turned, but it didn't operate the latch. It did free up the inside latch when the key turned, and now I can open the trunk. Apparently, the damage to the trunk lid had cause the lock to become disengaged from the latch and jam the latch at the same time. With the lock cylinder removed, I can access the trunk using the inside release...or by sticking my finger in the lock hole. Classy. :roll: :evil:
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD