Exhaust mounting locations

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Exhaust mounting locations

Post by kassim503 »

This weekend I went all out, resurfaced the exhaust manifold cause it warped, replaced the gasket again, installed studs instead of bolts and double nutted all of them to keep em cinched tight. Good news is the car is hush hush from the front, but im going to perfectionist status on the exhaust, and im still hearing the bumble bee from the rear.

My exhaust tubing is held on in three places, two rubber donuts before and after the muffler, and one bolt bolted to a floor pan bracket underneath the car right next to the rear most u-joint. I was wondering if the OEM setup uses a bolt with some rubber spacers or somethin to dampen vibrations, cause I can feel some vibrations through on the driveshaft tunnel behind the center console.

Right now im looking to add a second muffler behind the cat, IIRC I saw a walker diagram somewhere which shows a muffler mounting spot alongside the driveshaft a foot or so after the cat. I dont know if the extra heat from the cat will melt the sound deadening mesh in the muffler, and id prefer not reaming the cat out, I can at least do my part to keep hydrocarbon levels down.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

ok ok so I was wrong, the diesel model has the same muffler as the gassers, the only difference in the exhaust is a cat delete. I musta been thinking of a domestic car or something. Im still considering puttin in a muffler somewhere around there under the car though

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Aft of the transmission, the exhaust system hangs on rubber donuts. If you have a bracket & bolt arrangement with no rubber band, it's aftermarket.

There are some diagrams in diesel exhaust post
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

On my gasser, there is a mount that bolt that uses the cat bolts to hold a metal/rubber mount and I believe there is a mount that bolts to the diff. to hold the exhaust right as it goes over the axle.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Yes, I think the one in question here is the one that is bolted right next to the diff, I think it is stock, but I gotta look again. I knew i saw a muffler that was mounted in the middle, too bad its for a wagon, so I cant just graft a oem fit muffler on.

Im looking into the 2nd muffler idea, or just a few resonators down the line or something. I was thinking about running a glasspack, but I dont know how much that will quiet it down they are generally kinda loud to begin with, but its low profile so it wont drag on the floor.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I took a close look at the exhaust, and I really dont see a viable place to put a second muffler or anything. I can replace the existing muffler, with a simliar or exact same muffler- a walker universal. The mufflers only about a year old now, and I really do not know if the guts can be rotted out or not, I did not drill a pinhole hole at the low point in the muffler, so it could be.

Anybody got any insight here for me? Should I try replacing the muffler? I really dont know if its worth replacing, because it really should be fine, but the noise is killing me, absoultely killing me.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Seems like If you're willing to weld stuff, you can arrange almost anything you like. Muffler shops routinely weld pipe and if you find one that knows it's business, you should be able to get a very good system with "off the shelf" parts with a few hooks or brackets added as needed. Heck, you could probably go up one pipe size from the cat back and use a little bigger muffler.

The shop would need somebody with real knowledge of the parts available and I wouldn't want to ask them to weld up a turbine; but they should do fine on an exhaust system. The only issue might be if a new bracket was wanted on the car body - you'd want to be careful about burning wires or interior - that's why you want a "good" shop. Just make sure you get a list of _which_ off the shelf parts they used!

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

A few years ago I had a shop do my exhaust, manifold to tip. Mandrel bent, 2.5" tubing, cat, muffler, the whole way. Got tired of the walker dynomax muffler on there (noise) so I welded on a 2 1/4" walker universal in place of the dynomax. Im starting to suspect the muffler as the culprit, it sounds like the guts rotted out or something, cause ive noticed a noise level like none other today and yesterday. I really dont want to chew up all of the new pipe on there, its not even rusty yet.

My new plan is to replace the current 2.25" walker universal, with another 2.25 walker universal. I never knew how good it worked, b/c when I first welded it up I did a poor job, and the poor welds cracked almost immediatley after. If the noise level still remains unacceptable, ill graft the old muffler back into the system, and run two mufflers.

I just have to find what PN the current muffler is, 2 1/4 center intake, right offset outlet. I remembered finding the PN off walkers website, gonna snoop around there a bit more till I cave in and call my FLAPS

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Sounds like you're way out ahead here. <g> But wouldn't it make sense to get under the car while it's running and find that hole? Might just be a "quarter" or "half dollar" on top of a pipe and you could fix it with a muffler bandage and the SS collar and hose clamps off an 1-1/2" or 2" No-Hub plumbing coupling. Actually, it's probably at a joint somewhere, but the NH cplg might still work.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Actually you just reminded me, there is a small 1/4 inch slit in a joint where it wasnt welded all the way around over by the transmission. Even though the noise really dosent appear to be coming out over there, im gonna whip out the welder and seal that up.

Also I think im gonna have a friend hold it at 1900 rpm in drive where it makes the most noise and im gonna stick my head around outside and a little under to see where its coming from, it may have came from the flange that is right in front of the muffler, where I laid poor beads before, and welded over rusty steel later. Also flange gaskets do fail, but there is no visible coal around the area, but like always, worth once-ing over before I drop 80 bucks on a new muffler that I didnt need.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Performed the ear test to find out where some noise is coming from, clearly eminating from the tailpipe. Installed a new napa soundmaster (walker universal) muffler today. Lowered the noise level, but still barks around 2k rpm, not as bad as before. Considering installing a round muffler around the undercarriage, really get her hush hush.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012