LD20T-II Oil Filter cross-reference

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

ANGRYLANCE

LD20T-II Oil Filter cross-reference

Post by ANGRYLANCE »

Anyone have any idea where I can find an oil filter for an LD20T stateside? Tried all the parts stores w/ cross ref books and cant find anything.
The part # on the filter is AY100-NS012
Thanks
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

I don't have a cross reference book, but it might possibly be like the LD28 which for the 1982 is supposed to take a Fram filter #2850. Other filters that will interchange are Fram #8, 16, 43, 2870, 3600, 3614, These all have a 3/4"-16 thread. The 1983 cars take a very expensive filter, I use a Fram #36 and is a 1"-12 thread. Hope this helps.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Google yields a cross of AY100-NS012 to (Nissan OE No. ?) 15208-40L00 to Wix WL7155, which is a European filter not available in the US (apparently, anyway).

The datasheet for WL7155 shows:

Applications for part WL7155
Make Model Engine
  • FORD MAVERICK I TD27
  • FORD MAVERICK I TD27E
  • NISSAN ALMERA (N15) CD20
  • NISSAN PATROL RD28T
  • NISSAN PATROL GR RD28T
  • NISSAN PATROL GR RD28Ti
  • NISSAN PATROL GR TD42T
  • NISSAN PICK UP TD25
  • NISSAN PICK UP TD250
  • NISSAN PRIMERA CD20
  • NISSAN PRIMERA CD20T
  • NISSAN SERENA CD23
  • NISSAN SERENA LD20
  • NISSAN SUNNY CD20
  • NISSAN TERRANO TD27
  • NISSAN TERRANO TD27T
  • NISSAN TERRANO II TD27T
  • NISSAN TERRANO II TD27TI
You'll notice that the LD20II is not listed there. IOW, the filter that is on your engine may not be the correct one for that engine. However, that's Wix Europe's results on a twice-cross-referenced filter, so there are lots of places for misteaks to occur!

This page indicates that the Autox brand's equivalent to 15208-40L00 is ATL4058 and has a thread of UNF 1"-12

This page also indicates a thread of 1"-12 for the 15208-40L00.

This page indicates the same, plus shows an interchange for the Baldwin B120, which is probably incorrect because Baldwin's site says it's thread is 3/4"-16 (though it fits a lot of non-diesel Nissans).

Looking at your engine . . .
. . . I don't see the bypass line that the 1983 LD28s have for the special oil filter . . .

So, while the 1" thread implies the better oil filter that incorporates an internal bypass filter (see this post for details on why this is desirable), it may or may not be set up to utilize one. I have no reference materials on the LD20II engines.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

My price on the 1983 LD28 oil filter at NAPA is just under $18. That's not expensive for a filter that incorporates internal bypass filtration.

AMSOil's price for the same (Wix) filter is about the same.

Spinning on a run-of-the-mill oil filter that doesn't do bypass filtration is abandoning the benefits of (possible) sub-micronic oil filtration, to save $10 on the filter.

A typical full-flow oil filter filters to maybe 25um on a good day. Bypass filters can reach the sub-micron range. The Nissan LD28 setup for 1983 mimics what the mid-size diesels use: both full-flow and bypass filtration in one cartridge.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Since you're going to be doing a lot with this engine, you might try loading the Nissan FAST European edition parts lookup application. It's useless for those of us in the States, but might be of help for your LD20II-T.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the european serena is made in spain and is LD20II-LD23II.
ford maverick is is D21 or newer.
ford maverick in australia is a Y60 4.2 patrol

http://www.acdelco.com.au/Assets/ACDelc ... alogue.pdf
ryco[GUD] is brand of choise here but has in acurate online catalouge-nissan bypass filters made in korea.sakura is a very good asian brand.

been having a look at other forums to confirm what you have.
having a good laugh.nissan patrol and navara comes with lots of filter combinations due to the years that it was built.some of these engines had the bypass option droped for australia.

RD28 from late 80's has a bypass filter.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
ANGRYLANCE

Post by ANGRYLANCE »

Thanks for all the help so far. If I find one that fits I will post the part #.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You won't have any trouble finding a filter that will screw on and seal. Whether it will filter is the problem. If the filter base is designed for a bypass-incorporating filter, screwing on a non-bypass-incorporating filter might mean that no oil gets filtered, only cooled.

1"-12 is a common thread size & pitch for oil filters. Given the gasket dia (measured at the oil filter adapter, not the oil filter), I could find a filter that screws on and seals in minutes using the Wix catalog -- I know, I've done that dozens of times. And, if you knew for certain that that filter adapter is not plumbed to do both full-flow and bypass filtering, that's what I'd do. But I don't know, and who does?

Were I you, I'd invest in whatever documentation exists for that engine.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

by pass filter has a spigiot in the center that pushes into a center seal.
there is small holes in the adaptor above the thread.the type ive seen was made from pressed steel tubing and not a solid machined idea.

If you use a normal filter you have to plug the oil return to the sump.

i used a pop riviot in the block when i fitted a remote filter.the CD20 has a 3mm drilling in the block to dump oil back into the sump.
the adaptor has a number of bosses cast in to allow for external option hoses.
ANGRYLANCE

Post by ANGRYLANCE »

Found a filter that fits like you mentioned not that difficult. Its a Napa part # 1768 1" 12 thread. However its not a bypass filter, had no luck finding one of those. Probably run it with this filter until I can find a place overseas that will ship an original bypass filter to me.
Thanks
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

ANGRYLANCE wrote:Probably run it with this filter until I can find a place overseas that will ship an original bypass filter to me.
The problem with that is that it may not be filtering.

The OEM filter, if it is what I suspect it may be, contains two filters in one can: a full-flow filter, and a bypass filter. Each have different filter media and different outlet paths. They are both active at all times. Take a look at this, from the 1983 Maxima FSM, page LC-9:

(click on image for larger)

There are two exits for oil out of that filter. One dumps directly to the sump. Depending on how the temporary filter handles that passage, the oil may recirculate without filtering at all - or may dump some of your oil volume to the sump, since there's no bypass filter to provide any restriction. Bypass filtration is low-volume and fine, and as such has significant restriction to oil flow. It doesn't normally require any downstream restrictor. But without actually having the bypass filter media in the circuit . . .
Regards,
Al S.

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just FYI. I purchase and use the Nissan oil filter for my SD 25. It is a 1-12 thread size. It is quite a heavy filter and I have not cut one open to see what is actually in it. I have cross referenced it to a WIX number (51261) and the Wix filter is quite a bit lighter in weight. There has to be more to one of these Nissan filters than meets the eye and I will cut one open the next time I do an oil change and see whats up, or more so, whats "in". Nissan part # is 15209-J6502. It does have a drain back gasket on it as well. I cannot seem to find any info on it as to what it contians for media, micron rating, by pass, etc. The cross references for all manufacturers for this filter all list "Full Flow" with a relief valve setting between 18- 23 p.s.i. It is the only one that Nissan sells or lists for this vehicle. They are $9.99 ea if you buy more than 3 at a time.
Perhaps AL has the means to dig into Nissans inner workings and get the scoop, specs, etc. on this filter. I have tried Yahoo, Google etc and cant seem to find anything on it other than cross reference numbers. It may not be what you want or need but I thought I would suggest it.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

oil goes into the filter through the outer holes.then into the filter.
so all the oil will be filtered.

the drain back flap asists in keeping oil in the line up to the filter but wont stop oil draining back from the filter if it is an upside down type filter.

when the filter is restricted the element is spring loaded and will lift off the flap and you often see these floating inside.I have seen filters with dents in the end from being hit by the filter element.

problem will be how much oil returns to the sump.I havnt seen a nissan bypass type with a pressure regulator in the return circuit.im guessing the small dia of the drilling or the filter controls the oil flow.by pass is a smaller micron filter.

a lot of the time the gen filter has more steel near the treaded area to reduce distortion and the element may have a steel spool to hold the filter media.ive seen some dodgey looking filters that work very well.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Was messing around on internet and found these guys: http://www.filter-fab.com/fpdbdb/ffccross.asp ! Plugged in the Nissan # for your filter (15208-40L00 (use 1520840L00, without the hyphen)) and came up with a cross reference # from them as a FF15-2638 and there is a "Please Call" notation with that reference. They are at least in the USA (Cookville TN). Scary part is that the filter is $30.00!! Does not say they stock it though so the phone call might be at least a start.

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
davehoos

Post by davehoos »