Our Moderator, Philip . . .

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I have just returned home after being away for nearly a month. I had limited use of a dial up computer so, although able to check email and read text only, it was just too slow to really do anything else like view photos, open other web pages etc.

I received a message from Philip's sister on May 25 with the notification of Philips Obit.

For those that are interested, and I know its a bit after the fact, here is the link to it anyway.
http://www.legacy.com/orangecounty/Obit ... =110400420
Philip David Arthur
Arthur, Philip David, on May 8, 2008 the world lost a very gifted soul. Born in Los Angeles, CA on April 8, 1956, he grew up and remained a familiar resident of the City of Orange. His sister Patricia, and his cat, Omar, survive him. Philip's passing away has left many people with an empty place in their hearts. To those who knew him well, he leaves behind a legacy of unrivaled mechanical genius, an unwavering heart-felt loyalty to his friends and family, and the cherished memories of a creative mind that would face the many obstacles of life head on—with his endless thirst for knowledge, a raised eyebrow, and a keen twinkle in his eyes. His memorial service was held on May 18th at the "Lookout Roadhouse" in Lake Elsinore, CA. We now wave "farewell" to him. RIDE ON, PHIL!
Published in the Orange County Register on 5/25/2008.
[There are seven "guest book" entries at that site, too. ALS]

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Today is the first time I've been on the forum in about 2 months and I feel I've lost a good friend in knowing and learning a lot from Philip. I'll miss his posts on here about some of the best, descriptive advice you could receive about the SD22, Nissan diesels, and general automotive repair on any vehicle. I too have lost my best friend, my dad passed away actually on May 2, 2008 which is very close to Philip's date. And in his obituary I noticed he was born in 1956 and my dad was also born in 1956. You don't certainly know the feeling of losing a close family member or loved one until it has happened to you yourself. It's a hard concept to grasp after it has happened and you never do forget them. I miss my dad more then anything I can imagine and I am really sorry to hear about Philip. I wish the best for his sister and close relatives in their time without having him around. He certainly will be missed here on the forum.

Sal
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Really glad to have had him come to my house a couple of times. It was mostly his interest that motivated me to put my engine back together. I put a lot of extra polish and care into it just knowing he would like it. His sharply critical analysis caused me to raise the bar on both my mechanics and my technical writing. When you're used to talking to idiots it's easy to get sloppy in your thinking.

Thank you Phil, you were a worthy conspirator and antagonist, and you truly made a difference in my life.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model