Back from Sabatical <-- ?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

fergie

Back from Sabatical <-- ?

Post by fergie »

As with the sudden loss of "power" A sudden RETURN of "power" !! No clue as to how. Anyway, as thigs progress I'll keep "USE GUYS" posted.
Fergie in San Pedro, Ca 1982 Maxima wagon 181,000+ miles
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Did the car sit for a extended period of time?

I believe you are suffering from surging. I do know that a improperly adjusted/malfunctional throttle position sensor can create intense surging between certain rpms. Also a bad airflow meter can create surging at low rpms as well
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
fergie

Post by fergie »

Been VERY busy as of late, anyway, got my vacuum pump re-installed only to find the hose going from the block to the pump it's self is leaking. Tried some self adhering silicone tape (this DR. swore by it and some snake oil TOO!) save your $$ don't use the tape! I'll be working on my baby tomorrow so I'll check-in with u's guy's later in the day.
Fergie in San Pedro, Ca 1982 Maxima wagon 181,000+ miles
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Which engine does your Maxima have? (put that info in your Sig!)

If it's the LD28, that vacuum pump drain hose is (was) still available from Nissan, and you can't substitute heater hose, it won't last. Get the molded hose. It's under $40. They get rock hard and when you try to adjust the vee-belt tension -- snap!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.