Driveshaft replacement

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I've never had a diff give out, and I've driven some noisy sloppy ones a long way (50K normal on-road driving). Shifting style makes a difference in how the play feels, though..

IIRC the lube doesn't change the behavior much. Might as well use the recommended stuff.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Are the diesel model and gasser differentials the same for A/T Sedans?

A jy nearby (not really) has one but from a diesel, the FSM indicates a 3.7 gearing in both, but I dont want to have problems with driveshaft or cv axle fitment.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

The diesel and gasser diff's are the same

Im surprised the old rear kept going that far after noise and vibration was noticed, I must of logged a solid 2k miles on it, thinking the problem was isolated to the rear u-joint.

Still spins as of now, with fried bearings, broken spider gear shaft, and probably damaged gears. I do have a newfound respect for the r180, none of them have left me stranded yet!

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I just did a 5 speed conversion after the 4n71b died and the driveshaft seems very slightly short.

It is short between the center bearing and the tailshaft which makes no sense as I pulled the entire works from a 5 speed maxima.

Any ideas.

Oh........I will probably be selling it soon enough for 500 or less unless the guys at moroso I smoke want to pony up more than that.

Car is 275k miles with stock l24e sporting 280zx turbo hardware but running 1982 280z n/a air flow meter and ecu.

Ball joints are loose in control arms and brake pins rattle but unibody floor has no rust holes and car is a complete daily driver with a r200 diff. and 4 lug 300zx wheels sporting semi-worn 215/50s (225/50s would be a better fit)

I am in west palm beach, florida and will be showing up at a couple of nissan meets soon.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

When I replaced my driveshaft i was about an a/t or m/t. It could be a shorter transmission. How far can it slip into the yoke?

Also, do you have any quarter times? I may be in the position to purchase another vehicle after may or so. And I always did want a fast maxima

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I should imagine they are timed using a calender :!: :mrgreen:

:roll: Sorry could'nt resist :wink:
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I can see about 1/4 of an inch of clean yoke when I am used to seeing the collar over the yoke actually overlap the tailshaft housing.

Will try for pics.

I've driven it a bit hard and so far no trouble but I'm worried the noisy tranny coupled with the problem above could net me broken parts if I launch it anywhere that allows max traction.

As of now it spins both tires on the open diff. pretty damn far until one grips and it singletracks from there.

It did a 16.2 with the stock 4n71b but the stall speed was so low I could not build boost at the line so it rolled off the line like grandaddys car until about 60 feet down the track.

I got it running on a friday night and my first trip in it was to the track with nothing but a downpipe and the spark advance was so far forward, it welded the electrodes together on number six spark plug.

I've driven it about 50,000 miles with at least one 100mph burst on the highway a day in the last 2.5 years.

It really shouldn't run as well as it does considering I just slapped it together but I guess I got lucky.

We'll see if my luck holds at the track because I'm only making one pass with it.

Still debating whether to remove the super stealth 1 5/8 outside diameter exhaust with convertor for the run.

Here's a pic I snapped of the rear setup with R200 using a 200sx turbo (s12) diff mount.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Im vouching for unbolting it at the turbo for the run, it cant light nothing on fire, its just a 1/4 mile :D

Ill see how funds go, im also thinking about getting a z-car or a winter beater truck, ill have to see how I feel whenever the summer comes around.

If you have a secondary mode of transportation (ie. another car), you can always rent a car dolly, and whomp on it hard at the track with no fear of parts flying every which way

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Luckily......I made a downpipe the same size as the turbo exit so even a long trip nets nothing more than lots noise.......and stopping for any length of time cause me to breathe fumes.

It turns out the manual driveshaft is indeed longer and the proper length while the some automatic driveshafts work but with the aforementioned slight shortness.

Not all 4n71b driveshafts have the same yoke, though.

The one from my 1984 had a 38mm outside diameter and a 27mm output shaft size while both the manual and another 4n71b yokes have a 35mm outside diameter and the output shaft a few mm thinner than 27mm.