1983 maxima gasser cuts off after 5 min of idle help?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

1982810maximadiesel

1983 maxima gasser cuts off after 5 min of idle help?

Post by 1982810maximadiesel »

My Brother in laws 1983 gasser with 180,000 miles cuts off after idleing for a couple of min then its hard to start.
We just performed a tune up including cap rotor spark plugs fuel filter.We also cleaned all connectors on the fuel system and anyone we could find.throtle body and all hoses cleaned.We even did seafoam through the brake booster vacuume line.
Help what can this be? The maxima just completed a New York to California California to Miami run. It did have symptons in Houston when he got off the highway.But when the car is running at highway speeds it runs great.Only when it completes a 3 to 5 min idle it starts to hesitate and loose power and cut off.Then its a little hard to start but starts right up.
What should I Look For?
thanks
Bill
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Only when it completes a 3 to 5 min idle it starts to hesitate and loose power and cut off.Then its a little hard to start but starts right up.
Does it then run fine or does it continue to cut out at low engine speed? IOW, does the problem occur once a day and then you're OK until tomorrow, does it happen every time you try to start and then once you get it going it's all fine, or is the car undriveable because it always cuts out at low revs?

Although some of us here have a fair amount of experience w/gassers (of various types), the engines discussed on the board are really all diesel. One of our regular participants does drive a gasser and he may chime in and the rest will do our best; however, you may be able to fine better informed groups for your car. In particular the vintage Z crowd probably has far more info on your engine - you just have to survive the cat-calls regarding your "old folk's wheels". <g>

Cheers, Rufus

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I think that either your idle air tract is clogged or the mass airflow sensor is faulty. Also, check all rubber hoses on the intake system, even all of the vacuum lines, and especially the big one that runs from the throttle body to air cleaner. It may be leaking too much as heat soak from idling sets in.

Try removing, inspecting, and cleaning (if nessecary) all the hoses in the photo below, and the idle control valve, but dont turn the big flathead screw that is on it, but if you do, mark it and count the threads turned and reset it back to where it was orginally. Im guessing that debris and deposits are clogging the plumbing so the engine has no air for idling properly. If you find that its grungy I would recommend replacing the pcv valve. A clogged pcv valve can puke alot of grunge into the intake system through the top hose that runs from the valve cover to intake bellow.

Click to enlarge

If that dosent work, I can look up the resistance readings on the MAF for testing
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

That little black module on the side of the distributor is usually what causes this.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yup, the ignition Ignitor is infamous for dying when hot. At idle, you have no airflow across it and the heat from the dist body heats up the Ignitor. Usually have to let it sit a bit to restart it though.

I'd sure like to dbl-check the fuel pressure before condemning the Ignitor though. If you can borrow a fuel injection pressure gauge, connect it and tape it to one side, then reproduce the symptom and make sure you have sufficient fuel pressure when it dies.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
1982810maximadiesel

fuel regulator was the cause. repaired and running great

Post by 1982810maximadiesel »

fuel regulator was the cause.