Parting whole 1982 Maxima Diesel (NE Ohio)

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

Hammermechanic

Parting whole 1982 Maxima Diesel (NE Ohio)

Post by Hammermechanic »

Hi all. 1st post on this site.
Anyhow.....I just aquired a running complete 1982 Diesel Maxima. (It still talks too!)
I focus mainly on VW diesel cars. Word somehow got out and I was called re this car. Long story short... I bought it to part out.
I sell a lot of VW diesel engines to people who are making diesel powered projects (cars,trucks,generators,rock crawlers,veg oil people,etc) and figure this engine will be of interest to these people as well.
I haven't placed any of the parts on Craigslist or Ebay YET, as I found this site, and have been using it as a research resource. This site seems like a good place to start,so I'll let it ride here a few days to a week,before I hit Ebay, so..here goes...
The car has 166,000 actual miles. NA (non turbo 6 cyl Diesel) Runs great. It was 20 degrees out yesterday. I cycled the glow plugs twice and it fired right up, and runs smooth and strong. (As previously stated I'm a VW diesel guy....those engines wish they ran this good!)
The car is automatic, and that is the problem. The trans does NOTHING in any gear.
Yellow body w/tan? Gold? interior. Good glass. Everything works as it should (windows, lights,brakes, heater,acccessories,etc) except the air conditioning. No belt on it so I assume the compressor is seized.
Solid doors,hood,trunklid.
I see I can get $300+ on Ebay for the crankshaft out of this engine,for the 240Z car guys to build a stroker motor with.
I kind of hate to do that as this engine runs so good, so I'm looking for $500 for the COMPLETE engine,pulled,picked up here. You can hear it run prior to purchase, as it's still in the car. I'll pull it for a $200 deposit, and you can pay the balance when you pick it up.
As to anything else off the car, please inquire, and I'll do my best to inspect/photograph the part and get back to you.Please include an offer price with your request. I can do PayPal and ship UPS or USPS. NO Shipping on the engine,or anything over what UPS will accept.
BTW....I've been selling on Ebay for 9+ years and you are free to look me up. Username there is Safari-Ron. With 901 after my name,for feedback.
I'm located in NE Ohio not far from Summit Racing. Appx 25 miles South of Cleveland and 45 min West of the Ohio/PA border.
Serious buyers please shoot me an email : RThew12 (AT) Hotmail.com

PIX will be available as soon as this Friggin Snowstorm stops!
RonImage
Hammermechanic

UPDATE

Post by Hammermechanic »

Just an update...I've listed the engine on my local Akron/Canton Craigslist.
A user here has expressed an interest in a part off the car itself,and we seem to have a deal. Thank you.
Lots more good parts on this car.
Better get them before they are suddenly made of "Un-obtainium" !
Cheers!

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Are the cv joint boots intact? I may be interested in those+ some other bits, ive been driving with parts broken for so long I dont even notice it anymore :D
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
Hammermechanic

Maxima

Post by Hammermechanic »

I will have a look tomorrow and post the results of said inspection!
(Nearly dark now, and car is outdoors.)
Tropical heat wave of near 40 degrees forcast for tomorrow,so I'm all about being outdoors pulling parts off it and the old Jeep CJ7 I'm parting as well.
Have a safe Saturday night! Image
VR4Rob

Post by VR4Rob »

Is the driveshaft still good? How much for it shipped to 36832?
1984 Maxima auto 338K and still kickin
2004 Silverado SS AWD
1994 3000GT VR-4
Hammermechanic

PIX!

Post by Hammermechanic »

Here are a few Pix of the car:

Car has a California Auto Club sticker on the bumper and it's pretty solid!
Definately NOT a NE Ohio car. (It would certainly resemble Fred Flinstones floorboards by now if it was! )

To those of you who asked:
Inner CV boots have lost their clamps and are loose on axle shafts.

Driveshaft looks OK, although I have not removed it yet. I'm thinking $30 plus shipping for it. PM me if you'd like to proceed.
Hammermechanic

Post by Hammermechanic »

PS...I'm seriously considering listing the engine (or maybe the whole car?)
on Ebay tomorrow night.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

that body is in remarkable condition, i would drive it (if i had enough money to make an offer)
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
Hammermechanic

Post by Hammermechanic »

Thanks for the kind words Kassim503. It is a nice little car.
Unfortunately (for this car) it appears to be worth more in parts, as evidenced by this Ebay listing I'm watching:
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230323163838
I'd fix it IF I had a trans on hand, but...1) I don't need a car and 2) After spending money and time on a trans R&R, how much is the car worth?
Answer: Probably not as much as my time is worth,so...Engine goes on EBay tonight, and car gets parted.
bcdivad

Post by bcdivad »

This thing is TOOOOOO nice to part out..
Tell you what I'll do. I'll take the tranny outa my car and trade you.
You can part mine out.. 130,000 miles
Hammermechanic

Post by Hammermechanic »

Sorry..Engine just sold on Ebay
Hammermechanic

It's gone

Post by Hammermechanic »

FYI.........No more parts available. It's gone.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I appreciate that you posted that, it nicely finishes the thread.