Quality of Ford Service manuals?

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

moose60

Quality of Ford Service manuals?

Post by moose60 »

I need to get a service manual for a 95 ranger and would like to steer clear of the Haynes/Chilton type. I've been really happy with the Nissan FSM for my truck, is the Ford equivalent of similar quality? Or is there some compilation CD or DVD of FSMs that I should get?
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
LD28 Owner

Post by LD28 Owner »

Byron,
In my experience, Ford manuals are way, way better than the old Haynes, etc. manuals. The only problem with them is that the organization of the manuals take getting used to. What seems like a single task like changing brake pads, takes one to a section on wheels, one on front brakes, another on rear brakes and yet another on parking brakes and then all the torque specs are in yet another section.

But then MB manuals jump around even more and are way less available.

A manual for your car should be easily found on ebay or (if you don't mind spending top dollar for the manual) run down to Books4Cars at the north end of the Rainier district (call them first to confirm that what is listed on their website is actually on the shelf).

Jim, Olympia, WA
moose60

Post by moose60 »

Jim,

Thanks for the opinion, I figured that almost anything would be better than the usual two offenders.
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I actually find Chilton more easily useable. Comparing it to a FSM for a 92 Taurus, I found that the Chilton was basically excerpts from the FSM compiled into logical functional order for easy use. I found the Chilton faster and easier to use and pretty complete. It did not have _all_ the text and diagrams available in the FSM, but it had a whole lot of them and their editing seemed to be pretty good. You certainly get more stuff w/the FSM, but almost always I used the Chilton and it did good. I don't think I gained much w/the FSM.

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

For my '93 Aero, I have the Ford manual on CD, and it's quite complete but difficult to use.

I bought the paper books for my '89 Aero and was quite pleased with them but like GM you have to buy at least two manuals to get anything done (one for Chassis Electrical, one for Emissions, one for Engine (which does not cover fuel!), etc. etc.).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.