Jet Equipment "Jet-16 Drilling & Milling Machine"

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

I couldn't begin to tell you what the normal amount of play is, but yes the slop in the handles can be greatly reduced (but not eliminated) through gib adjustment
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

My machinist buddy found time to stop by today.

TooManyIdeas wrote:. . . if I had to guess the 2 bolts marked in yellow MAY be your stops.
He says yup. Good guess.
Or (marked in green) you could tighten the ways allot. I'd recommend swapping out the flat screws for some allen head caps. That may also work
After talking with Peter a bit, I realized that I was mis-visualizing how the gib adjustment actually worked. Now that I realize that the adjustment bar is tapered longitudinally, and that the slotted screw head moves that bar in and out, it makes sense (finally).

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
GJKHUNT99

jet 16 milling

Post by GJKHUNT99 »

I m looking for some parts for a Jet 16 milling. I got one in a box and need a few parts if you can help please email me. I live in Tacoma not to far away. :)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't think any parts are available. I called Jet and was referred to another outfit in California for "obsolete parts". I called them, got voicemail, left my number and never heard from them.

If you can identify the parts you need in the Jet-16 Operator/Parts Manual, maybe I can offer some advice.

GJKHUNT99

jet 16 milling machine missing parts

Post by GJKHUNT99 »

Thanks for you help the numbers I m going to give you come from the Jet Equipment: Jet-16 Drilling & Milling Machine manual. Thanks for any help gk

1ea 155 1/2 nut for lead screw (top table
2ea 166 ADJ screw for the gib bar
1ea 167 gib bar ( for the bottom table)
asavage
Site Admin

Re: jet 16 milling machine missing parts

Post by asavage »

GJKHUNT99 wrote:1ea 155 1/2 nut for lead screw (top table
2ea 166 ADJ screw for the gib bar
1ea 167 gib bar ( for the bottom table)
Ouch.

Well, for the lead screw, my best advice would be to go aftermarket. Lead screw material and half-nuts are readily available in non-proprietary formats. While I am obviously no expert (you will know that if you've read the beginning of this thread), I have read around the forums and learned that much.

For the gib bar and adj. screw, you might have better luck than I did, when I was trying to buy handwheels. Here's all the info I have:

Jet is
WMH Tool Group

I spoke with a "Cynthia" who emailed me the manual you saw above. When I wanted to obtain availability on parts, she sent me to a "Steve in Tech.", who sent me to this place that is supposed to handle obsolete Jet parts:

Machine Tools Direct

I left a voicemail with a "Rob" on 24-Aug-07, and never heard a word from them. That's where my research ended, because I don't have a crying need for the parts on my Jet-16 yet.

Perhaps with more persistence, your parts might be found there.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
GJKHUNT99

jet 16 milling machine missing parts

Post by GJKHUNT99 »

I have been looking around, at the new Jet Milling Machine manuals. If you look at the JMD-18 Manual, The table and the base look a lot like the jet 16. I m planning going up to grizzly and talk to them next week. I have been told the gib strips are all made by the same company. I made up a gib adjustment screw, one of my task are complete. Thanks for your input. gk
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I did the same thing: I thought that the handwheels looked similar on the newer Jet Mill-Drill. When I mentioned this possibility to the Tech at Jet, he was quick to say that others had tried that and they don't work. Later, some information I got somewhere else confirmed that.

Grizzly is fun to visit. It's a bit of a drive from where you are, but if you have half a day, it's not a bad drive. I drove there the day after Thanksgiving to buy a boring head.
junkmanted

Post by junkmanted »

I know this post is a year old

how did you guys do the finding parts for the Jet 16

I just picked one up for 150.00 in realy nice shap but !!

I need both gib plates and the nut for lead screw bottom table

thanks
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

For my part, I haven't even tried to find parts for my Jet-16 since this time last year. And I haven't made new handwheels yet either -- it ain't on fire, I'm not looking for more work!

If you are successful in finding new, surplus, or used Jet Mill/Drill parts, please let us know!
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Jet-16 handwheels

Post by asavage »

The "OTMT ZX32-01-028 Hand Wheel for use with 87-115-930 Gear Drive Mill/Drill", $52 after shipping & tax (Aug2021) has jaws that fit the Jet-16 perfectly. The shaft size is too small (supposedly 5/8" but possibly 15mm) as the Jet-16 has .750" shafts. I used my boring head to open up the hub on this handwheel, and it fits and works well.

The part No. on the package I received was OTMT 87-117-066 .

These now seem to be out of stock. I need two more, so I'm trying this site. Wish me luck.

[later]

No, that site was a dud. No delivery, no response to two emails. I had to claw my payment back via PayPal.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Re: Jet Equipment "Jet-16 Drilling & Milling Machine"

Post by asavage »

I had to move this again, and I thought ahead to take a couple of pics, to remind me what worked. I could not recall how I had moved it the last time, 12 years ago. This time, I didn't separate the mill from the table, but lowered the head as far as possible, then I removed the spindle sheave, the belt idlers, and the belt cover base plate. This allowed use of a sling and chain, so I could lift the assy. without bending the belt cover base.

The engine hoist could get the table 19" above the floor, which was enough (barely) to set it on granddad's 1952 homebuilt trailer. 70 years on, it's still useful.

Due to impending rain, I first trialed lifting the Mill/Drill onto the trailer whilst the trailer was backed into the garage. This was proof-of-concept, that the sling/chain/hoist would have enough lift to get it onto the trailer's bed. But that combo would not go out the garage door. I pulled the trailer outside, then moved the lift and Mill/Drill out and re-hoisted it in the driveway, where I had only sky (and rainclouds) above me.

The table + Mill/Drill weighs somewhere between 500-800 lbs, but I was able to skid it to the center of the trailer (above the axle) and strap it down -- four straps. I was not sure it would remain in place when turning or if braking hard, but the drive was only 10 miles and never above 40 MPH, and I had no issues.

Head lowered, belt drive still on:
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  Head lowered to max.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. Head lowered to max.
Jet-16_16b.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2686 times
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  Head lowered to max.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. Head lowered to max.
Jet-16_17b.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 2686 times

Annotated pic, showing belt sizes. The three different belts will have to be reinstalled in the same locations:
Jet-16 Mill/Drill: Belt sizes and layout, before removing belts, idlers, sheave.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill: Belt sizes and layout, before removing belts, idlers, sheave.
Jet-16_18-1b.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2686 times

Belt drive removed, along with the belts cover base:
Jet-16 Mill/Drill: Spindle sheave, belt idlers, and belts cover base removed.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill: Spindle sheave, belt idlers, and belts cover base removed.
Jet-16_20b.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2686 times
Jet-16 Mill/Drill: sling under table top, ready to hoist and move outdoors.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill: sling under table top, ready to hoist and move outdoors.
Jet-16_21b.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 2686 times
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  Moving to driveway with engine hoist.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. Moving to driveway with engine hoist.
Jet-16_22b.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 2686 times

Proof of concept: the engine hoist + sling combo can lift high enough to get the unit onto the trailer's 19"H tailgate:
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  Trial lift, to see if the hoist could lift high enough to get it onto the trailer.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. Trial lift, to see if the hoist could lift high enough to get it onto the trailer.
Jet-16_24b.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 2686 times
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  Trial lift, to see if the hoist could lift high enough to get it onto the trailer.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. Trial lift, to see if the hoist could lift high enough to get it onto the trailer.
Jet-16_25b.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 2686 times

Repeat the loading outside, because the Mill/Drill itself will barely clear the garage door's header (about 2" clearance of the round column):
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  On the trailer for real.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. On the trailer for real.
Jet-16_27b.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 2686 times

Unloading at Public Storage, Woodinville, Wash.:
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  Removing @ Public Storage, Woodinville.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. Removing @ Public Storage, Woodinville.
Jet-16_28b.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 2686 times
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  Removing @ Public Storage, Woodinville.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. Removing @ Public Storage, Woodinville.
Jet-16_29b.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 2686 times
Jet-16_30b.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2686 times
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash.  Safely in storage.
Jet-16 Mill/Drill, in garage @ Duvall, Wash. Safely in storage.
Jet-16_31b.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2686 times

I wasn't able to roll the hoist into the storage unit, as there's a 1.5" lip where the bay's pad is above the driveway. I had to set the unit down in the driveway and lift one corner and pivot the unit until I could set one table leg down on the higher pad, then repeat for the other three corners. I'm glad I could (barely) lift one corner, but rain was coming . . .

[later]

That purple polyester sling is a Tuflex Liftall EN30-6', and it was great but a couple of feet short for ideal. I've ordered an 8' version, new $25 shipped with tax, for next time. Slinging under the table top worked really well, once the belt drive and cover base were removed.

Sling, Tuflex Liftall EN30-6'
Jet-16_32b.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2658 times
Jet-16_33b.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2658 times
Regards,
Al S.