Ben Martin's '81 Datsun 810 Diesel PARTS CAR

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

Ben Martin's '81 Datsun 810 Diesel PARTS CAR

Post by 83_maxima »

Browsing Craigslist this evening waiting for the thundershower to stop, I come across the ONLY OTHER diesel maxima I have ever seen in Colorado. Runs around my neighborhood and lived around the corner! In Denver :shock: For Sale for $400 OBO. Hit and run in right rear, 209,xxx miles, but runs out just fine and is complete. Got the whole bit for $300. The body is tweaked around the rear door frame, and the body is pretty rusted, but the impact broke no glass - complete wagon greenhouse!

It's got a working glow system (which my car does not have) too, so I think that will be the first thing I take a look at - try to find out what is different, etc.

I think I'll just keep it a mobile parts bin until I have some room and time to strip it.

Pics coming...
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You owe me pics of the instrument cluster and the dual mirror controls, and anything else you find that is unique to 1981!
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:You owe me pics of the instrument cluster and the dual mirror controls, and anything else you find that is unique to 1981!
The original speedo on my truck. The buyer wanted to have one with a "trip-odometer" which took some months to get ... back in 1982. That's why there's 12k miles shown. The other 180k is on the "trip-odo" replacement.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

A few pics...

And Al, I've got your pics now, so I will send them to you. Tried to find all of the unique bits to the 81.

My car came off the assembly line first. 254th unit built in 4/81. The "Parts Bin" (PB) rolled off the next month (5/81) being the 867th unit produced.

The PB

The Damage

Nice engine bay. It's got a huge exhaust leak, and starts up in seconds. My car requires three cycles of the glow plugs...Will be looking into this further. So, it runs out like a champ. The body is rotting away around it, but it is still going strong! And NO SMOKE. NO KIDDING. I am tempted to license it so I can run a tank of fuel through it and document the mileage. My car smokes quite a bit, and I get a consistent 24.5/27mpg city/hwy.

Damage from the inside, pass. doors are pushed together, body is buckled in the middle from the impact (and probably the rust too).

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Would one of you 1981 owners see if the your hood ornament looks like the '82?
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Yes it does.
74260Z

Your engine

Post by 74260Z »

Have you sold the engine out of that car yet? I'm looking for a diesel crank. I'd understand if you weren't willing to sell just that part. On the other hand if you were that would be great. However, I am still willing to deal either way.

Thanks

Mike
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

The engine has been gone for a long time...but I would have never sold it for the crank anyway...
Dr. Jones

Keeping the Crank Pirates at Bay

Post by Dr. Jones »

Way to keep another LD 28 from being molested.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED