P/S bushings

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

fergie

P/S bushings

Post by fergie »

What can I use to replace the bushings for my rack N' pinion unit ? I'm short on money!
Fergie in San Pedro, Ca 1982 Maxima wagon 181,000+ miles
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

which bushings if i might ask?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
fergie

Post by fergie »

Power Steering bushings (rack and pinion), also, do the strut springs have to be seated in a certain position ? I'm getting a banging sound after I replaced the cartriages. Rebuilt rack and pinion unit at the same time. ie; replaced "O" rings.

Thnx, Ferg
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Im not sure what would be a suitable replacement for those bushings, besides the proper bushings themselves. Are yours worn out? Mine held up against the test of time pretty well.

Yes and no on the springs, if there is this little part on the cartridge pad that dips lower than the rest of the surface, the end of the coil is supposed to fit into there. Same as the tops, but I never replaced the front struts so I shouldnt be talking...

If you feel uncertain about the position of the springs, you can chain the springs compressed while the car is on the ground, and jack up the car while the springs are chained so you can move stuff around in there without turning a wrench.

The clunking or banging, it can also be the top lock nut working loose, and bad control arm bushings. I would point fingers at the control arm bushings before anything else.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
fergie

Post by fergie »

Thanks for responding, the control arm bushings, both, have been replaced. Was not the lock nut either. Will be checking to see if it is in fact springs 2morrow. Hoping 4 a PICK YOUR PARTrun 2morrow :) will keep ya posted as to what is discovered, found out, or stumbled upon. I'll get some pics of my trusty little steed posted soon

Thanks All,

Fergie
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Might I inquire how did you replace the control arm bushings? Did you go with urethane replacements? I wish to replace them with something when I hack into the suspension for ball joints on mine, it does look fairly straightforward...

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
fergie

Post by fergie »

It is a fairly easy job, do bear in mind to mark the control arms with a paint pen. OR U WILL AN ALIGHNMENT :shock: