Looking for Console, and trim parts for my 1983 Maxima

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

theminotaur

Looking for Console, and trim parts for my 1983 Maxima

Post by theminotaur »

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can purchase (retail store, savage yard, or a Nissan Diesel member) the plastic parts that surround the gear shift lever, elbow rest between the seats, trim around the A/C, and stero, and the plastic cover under the steering wheel.

Mine are cracked, and I am trying to restore the car to it's original condition.

My car is a 1983 Nissan Maxima Diesel.

Thanks,
Paul
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Well, junkyards are obvious. You may have better luck if you can go into the yard and do the walking/checking yourself. But it takes a lot of walking so if you're in a hurry you could try having the office search the part for you. This old a car they may not turn up much, though.

Your first move has to be to get an FSM and then to locate and get to know your local resources - junkyards, auto stores, dealers, tow companies (sell unclaimed cars), auto clubs, etc. Those folks are lots closer and faster than the net. The net has lots of info but your fingers need to do a lot of walking. Visit some Nissan forums like this one and call back regularly to see if people are selling stuff. Set up some news feeds from nearby Craigslist sites or just check often. Lots of time parts interchange between models but there is no logic to it - you just have to know or go find out or remember who the guys are who might know. I'm not one of them. <g> For an example, later model seats will often fit perfectly into your car. Stuff like that.

Plastic parts have a lousy life expectancy but they can be painted sometimes if you find a good one in another color. And no I don't know the best procedure - yet. You might find more happiness faster fabricating nice looking covers for the stuff that's turned ugly; if you later find the perfect part, install it then. Restoring to original materials is difficult bordering on the "f'git it!" so you should feel free to improvise (tastefully, or course).

Mostly you just have to dig and if you're a nice guy you'll post a message or 3 and let you buddies know about it too. We're all in the same boat.

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I did see two at the junkyards next door to each other in west palm beach.

U-pull and pay is on benoist farms road off of southern blvd. just west of the turnpike but it's the formerly smaller one next door that has the two first gen. maximas.

I'll check the cars to see if they have what you need in a few minutes and report back.

I do know one had a steering wheel that actually felt pretty intact in grey.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I've got an entire parts car that I am parting out in the peddle or procure it section.

Let me know if you can't find what you need locally.

The interior is tan, but most of that stuff you need is black. My car has most of it I believe.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Entire center console there but no shift boot for manual tranny and the console was pretty discolored and faded.

Brown car had broken tape player console but intact radio but had single din sized radio in it.

The grey car seemed to have OK radio console but not sure about tape console.

I did see an intact shifter surround trim.

I'm going back tomorrow morning and will check further.

No body parts really available on either car.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The console parts are very difficult to find in good condition, and Nissan tossed most of the trim stuff out of their distribution system a few years back. Fortunately, nothing you're asking about is diesel-specific.

I went to your Yahoo! group, but you have it set so only Members can view.

You didn't mention the color of your interiour. The plastic surround for the steering column I probably have in grey & brown, not in blue. Maybe the A/C vents surrounds. Best if you take a pic of what you want.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
theminotaur

Maxiam Console Plastic Parts-Reply to members

Post by theminotaur »

Hi
Rufus aka rlaggren
HowlerMonkey
Ben Martin aka 83_maxima
Al S. aka asavage

If you all don't mind could send me your email or email me at the_minotauro_master@yahoo.com

Yes I very interested in any of you all who have any plastic trim parts for my 1983 Nissan Maxiam, I can't be picky on the color, but don't want to buy plastic parts that are cracked. If you have a photo that would be perfect.

I need the following:
(1) Trim around Radio/Tape deck
(2) Trim around the shift lever (this car is an automatic, not a stick)
(3) Trim that goes from underneath the shift lever to the arm rest with the cubby for spare change/door remote etc.
(4) Plastic panel underneath the steering wheel (hides the wires).
(5) I also need the weather stripping for all 4 doors.
(6) Unrelated, but so far unable to find: Stainless Steel (prefered) or plastic window deflectors (you may seen on pickups). JC Witney no longer carries them, and everyone says may at a savage yard.

Thanks,
Paul in Miami, FL
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Brown or grey interior?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

So far, I've only had time to find and photo this:

Image Image Image

You need the trim around this?
johnsons63

Post by johnsons63 »

What do you guys put on your cars too keep the plastic trim black? When I first got the car the plastic trim part looked good, now it looks awful!...

'04 LE, CC, 4X4 OR, BT. OEM Bed rails, OEM Brush guard, Magnaflow 22" with Gibson pipes, PRG Mini-lift, Cooper Discoverer S/T 35x12.50x17, truck parts & accessories, Lund hood protector, Ventshade in-channel window visors, Bushwacker Extenda-flares, front window tint.