Cruise Control RPM pickup on LD28 maxi's for tach?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

asavage wrote:
Carimbo wrote:
asavage wrote:you might throw an ohmmeter on the connections I show above, the EGR Rev Sensor leads, and make sure yours is not open as mine is.
Can do, as soon as I get it running again.
No need to wait: disconnect the two bullet connectors for the EGR Rev Sensor near the battery (so the sensor is no longer in circuit), set your DVOM to ohms, connect probes to the blue and green wires.

I will get a reading on my new one tomorrow, for comparison.
Tests open. Guess it'll have to wait until the R/R IP belt session. Al where did you get your rev sensor?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Carimbo wrote:Tests open. Guess it'll have to wait until the R/R IP belt session. Al where did you get your rev sensor?
I have an NOS one I picked up on eBay a couple of years ago. I'll make you a good deal on it.

Because yours & mine are both open, I'll call this sensor a "commonly bad" part.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Good. I want to install the gasser instrument panel. I recently pulled the male blade connectors for it and the 3-prong one for the tacho from a PaP.
theminotaur

Maxima Diesel tachometer-Lots of questions

Post by theminotaur »

I Read in one of the threads, regarding a Maxima Diesel tachometer:

1) Tiny-Tach. Cheap (well under $100). Uses injection line piezo pickup. Slow digital update.

Question: Is this a good choice? What does it imply by slow digital update?

2) Alternator tap. Mod the alternator and use a diesel tach designed for alternator pickup signal -- in marine apps they're common. Not cheap but relatively easy. If your EGR Rev Sensor is bad and you get a good deal on a marine diesel tach (eBay, etc.), this is a good solution.

Question: I did a search on Ebay and could only find the tach gauge. Is is this all I need to buy? How and where do I connect (wire) it together?

3) EGR pickup mod. Modify the OEM EGR system controller to supply a std tach output signal. Detailed instructions in thread on how to mod the controller, or have one of us do it for you. Requires that the OEM EGR Rev Sensor is in working condition -- check it BEFORE modding the controller, they DO go bad. Use any std 6-cylinder tach. Relatively cheap and "sano".

Question: Since I only have one EGR controller, can I remove and will the car still start/run while it's being modified by Al? Or can I buy a modified one from Al and then send the orginal one from my car as a core return? Are their instructions on how and where to connect the Gauge unit?

4) Other stand-alone tach amplifier that uses the OEM EGR Rev Sensor.

Question: Do I need to buy something for this to work? What connects to the EGR Rev Sensor?

Sorry but I am not expect, so all this is sort of unfamilar to me. I hate not seeing the engines speed.

Thanks, Paul
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

1) Will probably be the most time-efficient for you, don't forget the nighttime illumination.

2) Al did a pictorial description on the mods to the alternator in one of the alternator threads; you should be able to find it with a simple search.

3) I think the car will run w/o the EGR controller, when they go bad the car still runs, correct? The throttle butterfly will stay open all the time, the EGR valve will not kick in, and the speed/load signalled IP advance solenoid will stay off. Probably several cars currently running around in this mode.

4) Thought this is what the EGR controller mod was for-- to amplify the rev counter signal.

5) Isn't there another alternative? Something about a sensor mounted to the crank pulley, similar to an electronic bicycle speedo. In fact, seems like an electronic bike speedo would work, unless the response time from rapidly changing revs was too slow.
theminotaur

Diesel Tach - I ready to have the EGR controller modified

Post by theminotaur »

Hi Al,

I purchased the Tach and it arrived on Monday. What is the next step? I will need to remove the EGR controler this should be easy-right?

Then I need your mailing address. What is the cost again (clairification), and how long will it take if I send the tach and controller right away to you?

Thanks,

Paul