help, fuel delivery issue

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

mustangwally

help, fuel delivery issue

Post by mustangwally »

been driving my 85 720 with no issues but hard starting in cold canadian winters. now that it is warm, i have a no start issue that is puzzling me. i am seeing diesel leaking from the bottom of the fuel filter, around the water in fuel sensor(i think). the engine cranks but i cant seems to get it to fire. if i try to prime the IP, i get more leakage.

next step? it is a problem with the IP? maybe the injectors?

would love to get this great truck back on the road.

Another issue i am having is a slow drain on the battery, over 24 hours the battery goes dead. anything i shoudl be looking for there? there was an solenoid hooked up to the glo-plugs when i bought it, but i got the factory system working. maybe something in a relay staying open? any ideas there this would be great as well, but putting on a battery kill switch workes for me as well
Manitoba, CANADA

1984 720 2wd diesel
1985 720 4wd gas
1986 720 2wd gas
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> battery

Use a cheap mutlimeter with a amps (current) scale to check what kind of drain you're getting - when everything is shut down there should be NO drain. Unhook the hot or ground and put the meter in between the contacts you just separated see what you get; set it on it's highest scale first in case theres a significant draw - less chance of toasting the meter. If there is current, start pulling fuses and see what kills it. Then put the fuse back in and go looking down that circuit 'till you find the problem. If the battery is bad or if there is some real dirt all over it, it will self discharge quicker than it ought to but you won't see any current running through your multimeter.

> leak

"Diesel out" often implies "air in" - hence the starting problem (air prevents normal injection). Ergo, find and fix the leak; sounds like it's around the fuel filter.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
mustangwally

Post by mustangwally »

someone mentioned an airlock, how can this be fixed??
Manitoba, CANADA

1984 720 2wd diesel
1985 720 4wd gas
1986 720 2wd gas
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

- when everything is shut down there should be NO drain.
Oops. Well not exactly. The clock and the computer are always on - that's why you use the multimeter to see what current draw you getting and figure out if there is something _else_ going on. If you need a reference I think I have a multimeter in the car and can see what I get for drain. My car has so far not had any mysterious battery problems.

Rufus[/quote]
82 Maxima wagon
mustangwally

Post by mustangwally »

still no luck with getting in running. doesnt seem to be leaking anywhere. not sure what the next step is
Manitoba, CANADA

1984 720 2wd diesel
1985 720 4wd gas
1986 720 2wd gas
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

If you have air in the line from the tank, the pump won't pull the fuel. The FSM gives instructions for bleeding the fuel lines after changing the filter and there are several threads here. (Search)

If you temporarily install a clear plastic hose from the filter to the pump you'll see bubbles running through it if you have a small leak before that point. Again these problems have been discussed. (Search) Don't leave the clear plastic inline - the diesel will dissolve it over time with unfortunate results.

Best luck.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
mustangwally

Post by mustangwally »

turns out there was a fuel leak in the steel lines coming from the tank, only leaks when the tank is more thn 3/4 full. replaced the lines with rubber fuel lines, but now there is an issue with no power to the glow plugs. there is a silver module right by the bttery on the fenderwell that is getting very hot when trying to crank over the engine. sadly i dont have the FSM, so any ideas what this controls?? maybe wire a bypass switch for the plugs just to get it running again
Manitoba, CANADA

1984 720 2wd diesel
1985 720 4wd gas
1986 720 2wd gas