1987 SD25 glow plugs recommendation

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

subwar2001

1987 SD25 glow plugs recommendation

Post by subwar2001 »

It is time to replace these things. My question is, Is the 720 SD25 plug, the 1986 D21 SD25 plug the same as the elusive 1987 SD25 sold in Canada
Dan
Owner of an elusive 1987 D21 SD25
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

IF the system has the Quick Glow and Slow glow system I would suspect that they are the same plugs.
Best way to check what system you have is to hook a digital meter to any one of the glow plugs.
Turn on the ignition to the run/preheat position.
If you have around 9.6 to 9.8V+/- and after a few seconds drops to apprx 4.7 - 4.9V+/- then you have the quick glow/ slow glow or after glow system.
If that is the case then these glow plugs are different. Putting a 12V rated glow plug in will not get hot enough fast enough and hard starting and rough idle after start up is the result.
I am pretty sure that all the D21's had this system but not certain if the 720/SD25 did.
Conversly, placing a "Quick Glow" plug in a 12V system will burn out after a couple of uses. $$$ :shock: :!: :x
Al has gone to great lengths to list a number of different glow plugs here: http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... ug+numbers
There is also a great web site from Delphi ( these are the plugs that I use and I have the "Quick Glow and Slow Glow" system.)
See here: http://dieselaftermarket.delphi.com/NR/ ... ollers.pdf

HTH

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
greyfoxxca

glow plugs

Post by greyfoxxca »

Hi Paul
where do you get your glow plugs? I can get some at auto zone but they are $40 each. I am in lethbridge ab. My 85 is a bear to start when cold. If I plug it in not so much.

thanks
George
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

They are pricey for sure :!: :( I assume that you have an SD25 with the quick glow/slow glow system :?:
I got mine from GCL Fuel Systems ( http://gclfuelsystems.com ) they are at the southeast end of Calgary. I can’t recall what I paid for them but thought they were around $25.00 +/- ea for the Delphi plugs. I don’t recall what the NGK's cost but thought they were a bit more. If you open the link to the Delphi catalogue you will be able to find the plugs that you need for your application and then just call GCL and ask if they can order them for you. In my case “they” looked them up and ordered them for me. IIRC mine cost an additional $30.00+/- in freight because they had to come from England. That may have changed now and they may be available closer. They are nearly 5 yrs old now. :wink:
Hard starting in the cold is what these do! I was told early in my ownership from a 30yr + Nissan mechanic that “Great little truck but at -10C IT WON’T GO“ Yours in not unique. I think there are some links to the air heater that I was able to get and that has helped immensely. I think it's near the end of "user’s rigs" and "Retired Paulys D21". If you have an SD22 then another forum member there made an adapter plate so that this heater would fit. You may be better off to order it out of the US as the Ca. $ is pretty good right now and the previous company in Canada no longer carry Yanmar engines.

HTH

:)
Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I can say that after 6 years of driving my Nissan powered Ranger, I have yet to have problems getting it started in winter weather once I changed over to synthetic oil. To recall, I run the glowplugs manually via a dedicated fender mounted start type solenoid. The injection pump is also controlled manually and the better pour point of synthetic oil (10W30) keeps the engine rolling over fast enough to enable a better start. The engine will start readily without being plugged in right down to about -25F. Lower than that, the engine needs to be plugged in to reduce stress on the starter. All is good....

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.