Power antenna bad - retired

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

Power antenna bad - retired

Post by rlaggren »

My antenna stripped it's gears some time ago and in the course of fixing several minor anoyances I determined to disconnect it to stop the noise when it tried to raise or lower when the radio was turned on. The fuse says it controls the rear wiper as well and I kinda wanted that alive.

After taking a look behind the glove box I decided it didn't look promising. Instead I removed 4 screws from the inner fender and reached in and found the wires leading into the antenna motor. In order to cut them I had to remove the two mounting screws holding the motor to it's bracket and shift the motor slightly. This all was pretty easy but clipping the wires was still a bit of a juggling challenge; it took 3 or 4 minutes to get a small pair of dykes on the wires and make the cut. I left the ground wire which was separate from the power wires because I figured it might be needed for reception. No doubt it'll turn out there's an easy way, but it's done and I doubt the power antenna issue will ever be visited again on this car. Remounted the motor, buttoned up the inner fender. Takes about 20 minutes total.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

There is a seperate black plug that is used for the reception, There should of been a connector at the antenna that could of been unplugged instead of snipping all of those wires.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Figures. I couldn't find one after feeling around inside or outside and couldn't see much of anything either; thought I remembered somebody explaining it here but couldn't find it the day before. Clean sweep. <g> . More work if it ever gets another power antenna.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon