Safe turbo boost on LD28?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Kolatogari

Safe turbo boost on LD28?

Post by Kolatogari »

HI guy's, Since I canceled my plans for TD27t conversion on my Range Rover, I'm going for my old LD28 I had in my old Rangeie. Having all adaptors redy, i'm planing on putting a turbo on her. the turbo is from MMC 2,5diesel. What would be the safe vs power boost i could have? It was a little sluggy in my old one, but a small boost would make it nice. At least nicer than the Guttless Rover v8 :P

So. 6psi? 10psi? 8psi? 30psi? :twisted:

Guess i'll make the exoust manifold myself. Feel free to speak. :D
windsock

Re: Safe turbo boost on LD28?

Post by windsock »

Kolatogari wrote:HI guy's, Since I canceled my plans for TD27t conversion on my Range Rover, I'm going for my old LD28 I had in my old Rangeie. Having all adaptors redy, i'm planing on putting a turbo on her. the turbo is from MMC 2,5diesel. What would be the safe vs power boost i could have? It was a little sluggy in my old one, but a small boost would make it nice. At least nicer than the Guttless Rover v8 :P

So. 6psi? 10psi? 8psi? 30psi? :twisted:

Guess i'll make the exoust manifold myself. Feel free to speak. :D
Hi Kolatogari,

What is an MMC 2.5 diesel out of? A fella I know that does a bit of turbo work and calculations recommended I look for a T25 Turbo off the CA18DET Nissan motor and set the boost to no more than 9psi. I don't know where or how he calculated these but he seems to know what he is talking about in other situations.

If I was to go this route I would be tempted to give it a go as he said but I cannot find the ready money as yet to do this so it is on the list still...

I have built a 3 inch steel pipe intake/snorkel for mine (still have stock filter) and installed a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe keeping most as straight as I can under a Land Rover 110 chassis. Seems to assist easy breathing quite a lot better over stock.

Make sure you take pictures - didn't happen without pictures :wink:

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
windsock

Re: Safe turbo boost on LD28?

Post by windsock »

Hi Kolatogari,

What is an MMC 2.5 diesel out of? A fella I know that does a bit of turbo work and calculations recommended I look for a T25 Turbo off the CA18DET Nissan motor and set the boost to no more than 9psi. I don't know where or how he calculated these but he seems to know what he is talking about in other situations.

If I was to go this route I would be tempted to give it a go as he said but I cannot find the ready money as yet to do this so it is on the list still...

I have built a 3 inch steel pipe intake/snorkel for mine (still have stock filter) and installed a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe keeping most as straight as I can under a Land Rover 110 chassis. Seems to assist easy breathing quite a lot better over stock.

Make sure you take pictures - didn't happen without pictures :wink:

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
nogrip

Post by nogrip »

i take it thats a mitsubishi 2.5? as in a pajero or similar?

mine runs a l28 manifold and turbo and is at 7psi..
ld28t in a 81 transit van