82 Maxima Heater Core

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

darmyman

82 Maxima Heater Core

Post by darmyman »

I purchased the car at an estate sale few months ago in FL and drove it back to WI. 36 mpg average on the way back :) It had been sitting for awhile so I'm working slowing at reparing the known issues. Glow plugs are next.

The heater core was bypassed (not good in WI) and its getting colder. I am having a heck of a time finding one. Any help appreciated.
Last edited by darmyman 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
82 Maxima Sedan
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

This might be a pretty hard find. I think after the first college try, I'd find a JY with a period maxima and go after it with a sawzall to get the core. You _might_ be able to go with a few fittings and a test gauge and a bicycle pump and test the core from under the hood before proceeding. But even if it's not good, you might want to get it for a sample. Then you can visit various sites and auto parts houses and see what you can find that would fit into the "box" in the maxima. Or just possibly you might find the the leak was on an obviously repairable place and give that a try. But I bet getting to the damn thing will be hard enough to make you look for a brand new one. And test the new one before spending any time on it.

Best luck. Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

The heater cores are constructed of plastic ends sandwiched around brass core. They leak where the plastic mates to the metal. PIA to replace. Difficult to R/R the heater core w/o breaking anything. Major dash disassembly required and the plastic is brittle from old age.

Radiator shop could potentially rebuild it but your dash would be apart during the rebuilding time.

I could send you a (leaky) core if you wanted to get it rebuilt before tearing your dash apart.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Darmyman

Carimbo makes a good offer - hard to beat that.
82 Maxima wagon
darmyman

Post by darmyman »

rlaggren wrote:Darmyman

Carimbo makes a good offer - hard to beat that.

Yes I agree, I emailed him to arrange it. I have a radiator shop here that will take a look at it.

Thanks
82 Maxima Sedan