Hi just got a 1982 maxima LD28 5 speed alternator issue

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

87rsrjcar

Post by 87rsrjcar »

Just a 1982 maxima has about 200K got for it 1300 I think its a good deal?
[img( | http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy14 ... .jpg?|/img] I can't figure out how post images
correctly, had a bad alternator, took it to a local rebuild they said it was fried, supposedly gave me a new one, seems charges at 1st start 14volts but then doesn't at all later, is this the diode issue? I'm not going take it back to the shop, I figure I will fix it correctly myself, its bad the quality of repairs now a days I quess. also the battery light never goes on, must have been on forever! :?
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Welcome and Congratulations, car looks sharp!

If the battery indicator lamp never lights, maybe it is burned out? Doesn't it "excite" the alternator into charging? Check the battery indicator lamp and wiring, replace the lamp if necessary, see if that solves the charging problem.
87rsrjcar

Post by 87rsrjcar »

Thanks for the suggestion I changed the battery indicator light yesterday, to my suprise its charging! battery indicator light went out as it should, funny thing is last night after driving for little while the indicator light starts to come on a little bit, then while at a stop sign it goes out, start driving faster its comes back on this time a little brighter, at stop light it goes out again, I think as the alternator warms ups the solder joints at the diode become loose possibly, I'll take alternator off today and check the connections and resolder, Any ideas?
Thanks
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

What are the other indicator lamps doing when this happens? Check the archives, there are posts describing common alternator fault indications.
87rsrjcar

Post by 87rsrjcar »

Well took out the alternator, frankly it looked kinda sloppy, stator wires looked one may have been kinked and possibly broke but touching also one the small diodes looked kinda fried, so I replaced it with a same type and resolded most of the solder joints, and to my suprise the battery indicator light is off solid after I took a test drive, none of other indicator lights had issues except for the GP one I'll fix that later, Thanks for your help I hope that does it! :)