Injector seal question

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

JasperG

Injector seal question

Post by JasperG »

Okay well as luck would have it I blew an injector seal this past weekend. I need to go in and replace the seals under the injector itself and the large copper ones that slide over the injector. I found this link in a search http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... ctor+seals and it shows the gaskets I need minus the large copper one. Just curious if anyone ever figured out the part number for this copper ring. I also see several different part numbers for the seal that goes under the injector nozzle so any clarity on which one I need would be appreciated. The main ones i need are the large copper sealing ring and the ones under the nozzle. I appreciate anyone help. Thanks Gordo
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Ok studied the page like a puzzle and I think that this is the part number for the large copper washer. Its the only one I see listed as a washer anyway. Going to order some, unless someone can shed some light here, I will wait a day or two. Worse case I waste a 12 bucks or so and have to get some matched up somehow. Heres what Im ordering, in case it helps someone else. Pretty sure everything else is correct, based on Al's photo. Help me if Im wrong here! thanks Gordo

large copper gasket
6qty Washer-Nozzle 16625-V0701 or 16635

Bottom nozzle u shaped seal
6qty 16617-V0700 or 16635M

top fuel line seals.
12qty 16635-V0700 or 14010A
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

Do you have to replace these if you replace the injectors?
82 maxima ld28 200K
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

I would say at a minimum you have to replace the small u shape crush washers below the injector itself. the large copper ones around the injector nozzle and the small copper ones at the fuel line could be reused though. Ideally they should be annealed though. When I removed my injectors to replace the head, I didnt replace the ushaped crush washers and it didnt take long for a larger copper washer to blow out. When I removed the injectors only one hole had the crush washer still and it was in rough shape. I supposed they werent seated right due to reusing them and they burnt up or were blown into the combustion chamber. Hopefully they didnt do too much damage, but I want to be sure its right before I put it back together. Gordo.
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Dairy wrote:Do you have to replace these if you replace the injectors?
I have reused the copper washers in the past, I suspect that they were not torqed down enough...probably need to be rechecked when hot. I have no idea what I tightened them down to... over 30 years of experience tells you these things "in the moment".
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

well ordered the parts from Nissanpartszone, but unfortunately the only ones they have are for the top fuel line. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions? I'd imagine the bottom injector seals have to be a certain thickness. Damn these engines are tough to maintain.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Check with your local diesel fuel injection repair place. They will most likely have them. I am pretty certain that Nissan are not the only engines that use these types of seals. Take an old one with you.

Maybe these guys: http://www.floridadieselpower.com/
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Thats a great idea! Will be in Tampa for work so I will try to drop in on them! I did find some others online but they are in Europe! So I do have a backup plan. Thanks
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

A bit more info that might be helpful for you:
Got this from the fuel injection place that I deal with:

the part # we believe your tip gaskets would be a Dipaco part # D16626-09W00 but as discussed were not 100%
I'm sorry but we don't have a cross over # in
regards to the Nissan part # you gave me - hopefully you can get the dipaco parts i provided you but again not 100% if they would be
right due to not seeing a sample.

HTH
Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Thanks Paul, I didnt have a sample either as mine we gone! I must have burnt up the old ones. I went to the website you gave me and on the bottom there was a fuel injection service company in St Pete. I guess the two companies are associated. Anyway, they found some that are very close if not identical to the original ones. Not sure about thickness but Im pretty sure they will work. they look right! I ordered 12! thanks again and thanks for the part numbers!