sd22 into 1968 datsun 520

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

5and2dimes

Post by 5and2dimes »

Well its really close to driving I just have to get the drive shaft shortened. Lately I have been working on the exhaust, stereo and gauges. I will post pictures of that stuff tomorrow. Getting a radiator in has been the biggest challenge, I had to cut into the core support to get it to fit. I used the factory 520 radiator but I got it re-cored with a 3 core dimpled core (they say it is equal to having a 4 core radiator). I have no cooling fan right now, but it still runs at 190 f without any fan at all. I will install a electric fan before I drive it. So heres a few pics sorry if you still have dial up.
Image :wink: :wink:
charmalu

Post by charmalu »

She`s looking good, coming along nice. I don`t think this time of year you will have a over heating problem, maybe a heating problem. :lol: .

That old of a truck, probably new radiators are`t available.. looks like you had them replumb the inlet and out let pipes for the new set up.

Charlie
82 Datsun KC 483K lost #2 cyl blowing blue smoke :cry:
83 Nissan LB 134K SD-25 as of 10-21-13
78 240D Mercedes $300 Parts?
80 240D 360K
80 240D Parts? $750
82 240D Parts? $440
84 300SD 270K
85 300D 363K
86 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 221K
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

It's looking pretty good... Lots of hard work done there.

With regard to dial-up, as a matter of fact, I am on dial-up in an area where nothing else is available at reasonable cost. The previous page with images takes almost 10 minutes to load. This one somewhat less. I generally re-sample pics to about 600 by 900. It's not rocket science

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
5and2dimes

Post by 5and2dimes »

The truck is now drivable! I have been driving it for three days now woth no issuies. Thank You nissan diesel without this web site I dont think this truck would never be to this point.
Heres a few update pics.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

great work; nice looking truck...
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
5and2dimes

Post by 5and2dimes »

I cant believe how good this truck is on fuel. I put 40 liters of diesel in one Friday and I have been using it for everything and it's only used 1/4 tank of fuel. The odometer is not working for some reason but speedometer is, so I can't keep track of the fuel milage.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Get and use a GPS...
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I agree that the truck looks great.
I should imagine with the monster amp etc etc you have behind the seats and "cranked" you will have to go around once a week and tighten all the body screws and bolts etc. :D
My daughter had one of those BOOM BOOM things in her 90 sunbird and the friggen tail lights fell out casue the screws backed out.

How did you make out with the heating/cooling issue that you thought you may have. Did you purchase a secondary electric fan and put in front of the rad?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
5and2dimes

Post by 5and2dimes »

Ya the stereo is pretty loud, but I dont listen to it much I would rather listen to the engine :wink: . I have a electric pusher fan with an electronic control. It has never kicked in while driving the engine runs 190 all the time without the fan ever turning on.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Glad to see you got her running-I always thought that body style was the best looking that Datsun designed, and the sd22 probably their most durable small motor. Makes you wonder why they never put the pieces together