sd22 in a 1948 Willys Truck.

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

elminero67

sd22 in a 1948 Willys Truck.

Post by elminero67 »

Ive decided to install the SD22 in my 82 Datsun into a 1948 Willys truck. I intended to do this install with the T19 transmission and transfer case from a diesel Scout, but have not had luck finding one that I can afford, so Im going with the stock 5 speed.

For a little background, I acquired the Willys a few months back (cheap)and spent alot of time and money trying to get it running with the original four banger, but have given up, I just cant keep it running. btw-the stock drive train gets about 12 mpg, and tops out about 45 mph, downhill with a tailwind.

I realize it will be underpowered, I expect this to be a put-put truck for cruising backroads and 4 wheeling.

When you compare the numbers, it may be a good fit: The HP and torque are about the same in the Willys f134 and the sd22. The weight of the Willys truck and my 82 Datsun are within 100lbs. Alot of people think the old Willys were sturdy, but they were originally spec'd to weigh under 2200 lbs so that could be air transported.
The height, width and length of the sd22 and F134 are very similar, the sd22 is a touch longer but nowhere near as high. The hard part is the Nissan 5 speed-that thing is like 14 feet long!

Here is where I got today, everything is just mocked up:

greyfoxxca

long tranny

Post by greyfoxxca »

If you get a tranny from a 4x4 gas truck, you can switch the front half of the tranny with yours a bit of work. The 4x4 tranny is much shorter. Also you can check the bearings. Be careful and get the same year so the bearings are the same size.

George
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Do you ever visit 720world? There are a few guys there with enough datsun/nissan transmission knowledge that will amaze you.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Good info will check out that site, and I didnt know that the 4x4 tranny was shorter-I was beginning to wonder how I shoehorned a similar setup with two nissan transfer cases into a 61 Scout a few years back...Now may be the time to deal with it while everything is easy to get to.

Think Ive got the motor mounts figured out, wiring harness looks doable.

Now if I could just find a little free time....
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

http://720world.com/forum

There is more diesel activity here and more gasoline activity there.
Many aspects of these datsuns/nissans are shared. I visit both of these sites often.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the difference in length between the 2wd and 4wd transmission? also, is the shifter in the same location, or is it closer to the motor as well?
Thanks-may help with determining which way to go!
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Got the motor mounts welded up and installed, it is a tight fit in all directions and there may be a couple of clearance issues that will be a challange, namely the front driveshaft and the clutch slave cylinder and the brake pedal hits the header. Im surprised at how tight the fit is with a relatively compact sd22. People often put small block chevys or fords in these old Willys, dont know how they shoehorn those in.

sidevalve

Post by sidevalve »

Awesome posts and awesoe project. Keeping sd-22's alive!!!
This project touches close to home for me. Years ago I owned a willys truck wagon of similar vintage. it was powered by chev V6. I believe it was the v6 out of a chev monza. But i can't take the blame for that conversion. Was a fun old truck to bomb around in. All the old timers always came over to check it out, anywhere I went. Today I drive my Toyota 2wd pickup powered by nissan sd22 with pride. And I know all about how long the 5speed tranny is. I have the floor cut about 6" longer for the shifter hole in my yota. Made a special tin plate to house the shifter boot to seal the floor. I think you've made an awesome match, good luck.
!987 toyota 2wd pick-up with a SD22 from a 82 720.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

thanks for the support. Got the radiator back from the shop-$40 well spent.
Also installed the new driveshaft-Dont know if I mentioned earlier, but Im planning on running it as a 2wd until I get a feel for what divorced transfer case will be a better fit. Im hoping that 5th gear will be in its happy spot right around 60 mph-you really dont want to go faster than that in something this old. If it has trouble holding 5th gear on the highway Ill go with a Samurai transfer case as they will drop the high range slightly. If it is happy in 5th gear/60 mph Ill go with the Nissan transfer case, they are dirt cheap and bombproof. You can even bolt two together and get a 4 to 1 low range.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Need Help! She will not start now. It was running fine, always starts easy. She has fuel(I used the hand pump and the filter is full), fully charged battery, turns over but does not fire. To the best of my knowledge, I have not touched anything mechanical since yesterday, when it started fine.

Don't know much about troubleshooting an sd22, she has always started
any ideas on what I should check first?
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

after briefly researching, it seems that the most likely scenario is that I have air in the lines as it was run from a 5 gallon gas can full of diesel.

whats the best way to fix this? more pumping with the hand primer?
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Yes, more hand priming.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

got her started-air in lines.

Looks like others have done a similar conversion: This is about the third or fourth sd22 powered Willys Ive seen in the Phillippines, only $65,000.00 php. Wonder why the didnt opt for the sd23?

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+ ... willys+4x4
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Took her out for a spin today, but could only get her to 45 or so as my homemade driveshaft is out of balance. The motor and tranny worked perfectly; from what I did see, the sd22 is not going to be the limiting factor for top speed, but rather the steering and brakes. As it currently sits I would describe the driving characteristics as "sketchy"

took it by the scale on the way home-3240 lbs on an empty tank. Last time I weighed the donor 82 Datsun at an official scale it was 3150, with a full tank.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

You have done a nice job here. A big project for sure.

Even in the Datsun dress they would not set the world on fire and speeding tickets were not of a concern usually.
There were Playgrounds and School Zones though :wink: :wink:

Do you have a one piece drive shaft of does it have a steady brg. in it ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN