hard start

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Skeeter2u

hard start

Post by Skeeter2u »

I have a 82' 720 with a SD22 in it. It has about 100,000 miles on it and runs well, but starts hard. All the glow plugs work, and it starts hard even when warm. It always takes 4 or 5 cranks before it will start when it is hot. It starts better when it has the engine heater plugged in when it is below 0c. It also blows black smoke when under full fueling going up hill.
I have a feeling that the injector nozzles are not giving a good pattern, does anyone else have any ideas?
soot fart

Slow starting

Post by soot fart »

My opinion may be worth the amount you are being charged.

Air getting in the fuel line or fuel leaking out. Same thing take you pick.

Once you've ruled out gps, Ip relay , batt charge and starter, fuel or lack
thereof has to be the culprit.

If you have rubber lines cut 1/2 in off all and reattach ss 8-10 mm clamps thats the 1st thing and the cheapest .

Next check fuel filter and o rings for leaks and/or replace if due.

Lastly buy inline booster pump and clear line and filter and place in line before filter intake and look for air bubbles. $40.00 est for all. Good Luck.
dn29626

Re: hard start

Post by dn29626 »

Skeeter2u wrote:...a 82' 720 with a SD22 in it. It has about 100,000 miles on it and runs well, but starts hard...starts better when the engine heater plugged in...
I have a feeling that the injector nozzles are not giving a good pattern, does anyone else have any ideas?
An 82 with only 100,000.
Test/replace the glow plugs and have the injectors rebuilt.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
Skeeter2u

Post by Skeeter2u »

I will probably get the injectors rebuilt, I am not getting air in the system, and the filters are new. Thanks for the replys