LD23 Vanette revving?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

billpine

LD23 Vanette revving?

Post by billpine »

Hi guys. Hoping someone can help me out here!

Recently bought a LDV Cub which as some will know is really a Vanette Cargo 2.3d just with crappy LDV badges and has the LD23 lump.

The list of problems is many but to start out I need help with a revving issue. Only ever happens from warm where the engine will rev to I'd say around 3000RPM and will do so for around 30 seconds before gradually calming down to around 800RPM :shock: Rather than let the engine rev that much I tend to reign it in by getting 1st gear to biting point and foot brake it til it calms down or just drive albeit quickly!

Been running the van on 98% EN14214 standard Biodiesel in the hope that any varnish or accumulated crap will be either dissolved or washed into the filter in the hope that if the problem was pump related it would cure the issue.. but it hasn't.

Just wondering if any of you guys or gals have had this problem and what did you do to rectify the problem..

Much thanks. Bill
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

It sure sounds to me like the governor is sticking or there's a bad air leak in the speed control lines...
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
billpine

Post by billpine »

Nissan_Ranger wrote:It sure sounds to me like the governor is sticking or there's a bad air leak in the speed control lines...
Thanks for the reply Ranger.

I'm guessing it's the governor then, the speedo is controlled electronically which has also stopped working :roll:

Thanks.