Attention SD22's of Portland Oregon.

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

justanother54321

Attention SD22's of Portland Oregon.

Post by justanother54321 »

I just moved to Portland Oregon and I am looking to make local connections with people on this forum.

Sometimes having a second set of eyes familiar to the machine or knowing someone who knows what the local source for parts and repairs.

So those in Portland please don't be shy.

Thanks,
1982 720 SD22 CA Emission
bsmith700

Post by bsmith700 »

Also in Portland area! Are you still in Portland?
Ryan.m.steiger

Post by Ryan.m.steiger »

I live in Portland and I own 2 Datsun trucks. An 81 720 4x4 Z22 gas engine, and an 82 720 SD22 diesel engine. Drop me a line if you want to check the trucks out.
bigbootyjudy

Re: Attention SD22's of Portland Oregon.

Post by bigbootyjudy »

7 years is a long time, but I’m also in Portland. Just picked up an ‘81 Datsun 720 long bed.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

bigbootyjudy wrote: 2 years ago 7 years is a long time, but I’m also in Portland. Just picked up an ‘81 Datsun 720 long bed.
Welcome, I recently seen a diesel Datsun on CL and there is a damaged kingcab on there now, what are your plans?
I live across the river in Vancouver WA.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Well I am in your area, I used to have people come over all the time when I had a Craigslist ad up, they came over to either talk or figure out a start/shut down issue, but sometimes they bought parts.

When you lost the fuel filter and removed it using the plastic coupler(pen housing) I suppose there was the possibility dirt could have got into the lift pump screen but that is a stretch, what I have found more often is that people use gas fuel filters in these diesel trucks and sometimes have power loss issues within 10 miles, the nicer the gas filter the sooner the issue, either one needs to use a nice diesel filter assembly, a fuel strainer, or one of them cheap gas filters, but you have to keep your eye on them cheap filters as when they get dirty they can get sucked flat and then can get sucked into the fuel line itself, I should know about all this as I have either seen or had happen to me all these issues.

Here is a nice fuel filter with a built in primer pump.
001.JPG
001.JPG (168.94 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
Here is one without a primer pump that is not in anything right now.
003.JPG
003.JPG (166.59 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
And here is a strainer, I do not have room for anything else in this engine compartment unless I start moving things around, since it works fine the way it is I don't care, I use these pre-filters to keep the lift pump screen clean as it is a major hassle to remove, clean and replace the lift pump filter screen for me.
002.JPG
002.JPG (168.13 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
Personally I have not ever seen a stock 1982 diesel pre-filter till recently when I bought a bunch of parts from a guy getting out of diesel trucks, he had a new one in it's box(PTC Filter, part #G2906) which when searched has no results, the guts inside one of these filters is different than a gas pre-filter, it looks more like a strainer to me.

I do not know if a hand primer can cause fuel pressure issues, the only fuel pressure issues I have ever had were caused by the use of gas pre-filters being used, the lift pump filter getting plugged up, or the main fuel filter needing changed out, just make sure the primer pump is locked down when not in use.

I like talking with people about their diesel trucks, the Powerland Datsun/Nissan meet/show is coming up in just over a month down near Brooks OR, here is a link about the show, I usually go to these Datsun shows when I can, normally at least one diesel person other than me shows up but they do not tinker around with their diesel trucks like I do, they just drive them.
https://ratsun.net/topic/78947-powerlan ... NewComment

I like talking about these little diesel trucks, if you have any problems I am more than willing to try and help, I do not come here to the Nissan Diesel Forums as often as I used to, my email is tmdatsuns@gmail.com as I do look at my email a few times a day or at least in the evening.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.