New SD22 from Soot Fart finally installed in forklift

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

waynosworld
It means i am sending you a personal message (PM) using this site but only you will get it and be able to see it.
(I already sent it.)

rustie
You are already listed in my PM group of members so i should already be in yours.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys
I do not use PM much because i want to contribute to keeping this site as visible as i can for everyone.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
rustie

Post by rustie »

All notifications have been enabled since I joined....fire away!
charmalu

Post by charmalu »

waynosworld wrote:
dn29626 wrote:rustie

Make sure your notifications are turned on for future posts.
The head is not for me but i will PM you.

waynosworld

I am thinking spare diesel engine.
I am going to PM you as well.

I am not sure what this post means.

I think he means to click on the link at the bottom left to "watch this post" then you get notified in your e-mail when this thread is added to.

Charlie
82 Datsun KC 483K lost #2 cyl blowing blue smoke :cry:
83 Nissan LB 134K SD-25 as of 10-21-13
78 240D Mercedes $300 Parts?
80 240D 360K
80 240D Parts? $750
82 240D Parts? $440
84 300SD 270K
85 300D 363K
86 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 221K
rustie

Post by rustie »

Just for sh!ts and giggles, thought you guys would like to see what that other engine was in the first photo at the beginning of the post (the stand is on it's side with one wheel sticking up):

Another angle:

My partner of almost 20 years and I assemble these units with power ranging from 100hp to 230hp (only have stock of 100hp units remaining now). He also lives up in Washington, so I was able to pick up both engines at the same time. These engines are very light....about 100lbs when configured as you see in the video below (as a full TurboProp)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSnMbEb ... e=youtu.be
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

That turbo prop is so freaking cool, you make/made them?
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
rustie

Post by rustie »

Yes. We've made them for about the last 20 years. Although expensive and not well known, We've sold about a dozen in the last 10 years....but almost exclusively to Europe (France, Belgium, Spain, and even Lithuania of all places). Actually, only a few have sold here in the USA. They've been installed on both fixed wing aircraft (the "Turbine Luscombe" is one that comes to mind) and homebuilt helicopters of various makes.

Here is a video of that 1948 Luscombe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3jyhhFUrgM

They are quite powerful for their small size and weight, but do burn their share of fuel....10 to 12gph cruise and 14 to 17gph at 100% power for the 100hp.

Very impressive little powerhouses...and they can run at 100% power continuously...provided you continue to feed it fuel!!!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

On the Nissan SD pneumatic governor (what you've been calling "vacuum operated): The pneumatic governor system was pioneered by Mercedes Benz and was used on pretty much all MB passenger car diesels from the 170D in the mid-1950s to the 220D in 1973-ish. The 240D was the first to abandon it.

AFAIK, the VE-type IP was never offered on the SD16, SD20, and SD22; they only got the Inline type IP, either with MZ governor (like what was on the engine you bought) or the pneumatic governor.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I actually bought a SD22 diesel engine a few years ago from Australia, it was on ebay-AU, it was in a holden used for trotting horses on a track, it had a VE type injection pump on it, which presently is in my 720 dually on my rebuilt SD22 US model engine, according to my Nissan SD engine manual this SD22 engine with a VE type injection pump could have come out of a E23, the serial number of the engine is 570837, I pulled the pan, and it is a 3 main bearing crank, and according to the manual it is supposed to have 3 rings on the pistons(3 rings from 557447+).
Where the serial number is located leads me to believe that it was made after may of 1980, as I said, it was bought in Australia, and I imported it here myself.
The engine obviously did not belong in that car, as it had a custom oil pan.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It may have been a Frankenmotor.

A lot of parts have been swapped around on SDs over the years.

Just because it had a VE-type IP on it when you got it . . .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

asavage wrote:It may have been a Frankenmotor.

A lot of parts have been swapped around on SDs over the years.

Just because it had a VE-type IP on it when you got it . . .
This may be very true, after a certain amount of time goes by, vehicles get changed to suit the needs of the time, the only true stock vehicles found today that are truely stock have been sitting somewhere for decades untouched for one reason or another.
Maybe you can tell me what I have, as it kinda baffles me, all the SD22 engines I have ever seen have the oil filter tilted slightly forward, except this engine, now the SD25 engines I have seen have the oil filter pointing straight up, but they also have this extra hose as seen in the photo below.
My SD22 engine has the oil filter pointed straight up, but it doesn't have that extra hose that all the SD25 engines have, so I am assuming that this is not all the SD25 hardware bolted onto a SD22 engine.
Here is a photo of the SD22 without that extra water line.
Here is the intake, excuse the wiring, it's zip tied to not be getting in the way.
Here is the back of the alternator, does this style look familiar to you?
See the plug below the oil line for the power brake vacuum, what is that for?
Do you have any idea what this hardware came off of if it did not come on this engine, as the intake is not big like all the SD25 engines I have seen, and that extra water hose is missing that all my SD25s have.
One other thing, this is the only engine I have that has the thermostat cover pointing directly sideways.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

That looks like the same oil filter that is on my SD23. Have you looked into sourcing it yet?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

elminero67 wrote:That looks like the same oil filter that is on my SD23. Have you looked into sourcing it yet?

I just take the oil filter to the auto parts store and we figure it out, I have not had an issue yet finding one.
I buy my fuel filters at NAPA.

Have you noticed how this thread is annoying, you have to scroll across sideways to read everything or make a quote, I wonder if it is the photos that Rustie published that did it, they are huge photos.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I buy my fuel filters at NAPA.
NAPA's filters are mfgr'd by Wix. NAPA removes the first Wix part No. digit. So a Wix 51515 is NAPA 1515 (Gold) or 21515 (Silver).

I don't have any good answers about your engine. The hard line (top) on the alternator vacuum intake looks somewhat familiar, but I can't say why. The alternate t-stat housing and extra oil cooler coolant hose are new to me. You have more SD25 experience than I do.
Have you noticed how this thread is annoying, you have to scroll across sideways to read everything or make a quote, I wonder if it is the photos that Rustie published that did it, they are huge photos.
Pics wider than about 800 pixels force the browser to scroll for most people. I have a 2006 thread about this here. I used to manually resize pictures that people posted that were too wide, but I've long ago given up that kind of time-intensive maintenance.

If it's any consolation, I am running a large monitor with resolution set to 1920 pixels wide, and this page does not require sidewasy scrolling. Maybe a larger monitor is in your future ;)
Regards,
Al S.

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

It is strange looking.
I also notice that the oil filler cap on the valve cover is moved to the center knockout plug. Hmm
The SD 25 ( that I have at least ) does not have this knockout option.
Wondering if this was not a forklift/equipment/industrial application to begin with. Have a look at the oil filter placement in the photo that rustie has of his industrial SD 22 in the back of the SUV. Its pointed straight up, perhaps even a tick rearward.
The intake manifold may suggest this as well as there may have been a remote filter on it someplace.

Is the oil filter thread a 1 inch thread.
My SD 25 has 1" and the SD 22s were 3/4" IIRCC.

If it is a 1" thread then filters are

Wix 51769
Baldwin BT261
or Nissan 15209-J6502
Donaldson P55616 (40 microns )
Donaldson P553712 ( 20 Microns)
The Baldwin, Nissan and Donaldson all have stand tubes in the filter. The Wix does not.

My SD 25 in my D21 does have the additional water line(s) you speak of from that block fitting and it runs to the base of the oil filter with a smaller return line from there. The oil filter housing is cooled.
I have Nissan part numbers for those hoses if you would like them.

My thermostat housing although is not 90 degrees it's very close to that.
( 70 - 80 )

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I never noticed that small return line before,
good to know it's there in case I ever had a
leak, would not even known to look there,
thanks a lot for pointing that out. Image