Fitting a Turbocharged LD28 into a 24volt Nissan GQ Patrol

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

blaylok2

Fitting a Turbocharged LD28 into a 24volt Nissan GQ Patrol

Post by blaylok2 »

Hi all, I am back on this forum after 8 years absence (new name tho - couldn't remember old password and had to re-register).

Here are my previous 2 threads:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... ight=#4389

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... ight=#7318

Ok, so what ended up happening with the 2 and a half LD28's i acquired back then was that a new one was pieced together and a turbo was fitted. The original block was used and one of the other heads i got was fitted. The bore was enlarged slightly and new pistons and rings were fitted to accomodate the slightly larger bore. The turbo has been set up to have an intercooler attached as well. This was all done professionally by a mechanic. Basically a full reco with a turbo and intercooler added, then tuned by said mechanic. (The mechanic was a kiwi fellow i met that had experience with turbo'ing LD28's back in his home country of New Zealand)

The original MQ patrol that the original LD28 engine came out of has long since gone and has been replaced by a 1988 SWB 24volt GQ Nissan Patrol/Safari with a TD42 engine.

Now the turbocharged LD28 has sat for about 3 years covered up in a shed and i was going to sell it, but instead i have decided that i would like to retrofit it into my 1988 GQ Patrol/Safari.

Does anyone know if this will work or not?

The biggest problem i see is that the 1988 SWB GQ Nissan Patrol/Safari is a 24volt system and that the LD28 is 12volt. Surely there is some way around this though?

I still have the original bell housing and flywheel that matched up the LD28 to the gearbox in my old MQ Patrol. Hopefully this will match up with the gearbox in the GQ Patrol?

Anyway, here's hoping somebody else here may have tried this with some measure of success? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help i received back when i originally posted here 8 years ago,

kind regards,

Chris
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The electrical problem can be addressed a couple of different ways.

I assume that your 24v system is supplied by a pair of 12v batteries in series (that's the only way I've seen it done)? If so, you can tap between the two batteries to obtain 12v and use the LD28's standard GPs (and GP controller, if you wish).

I am not aware of 24v GPs for the LD28, but a compatible physical size, thread size & pitch, and voltage may exist.

Finally, a whopping series-connected voltage dropping resistor in series with the GPs might allow you to feed them via 24v without immolating themselves. That resistor isn't going to be cheap or easy to obtain, though. You're going to need to drop around 12v at around 90 amps, off the top of my head.

I can't address your bellhousing issue.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.