DPC setups

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

heckcreek

DPC setups

Post by heckcreek »

Hello, I just bought a 1985 Nissan 720 that was a gas truck originally but has been prepped to swap in the 64k mile sd22/5 speed that are included with it. I will be using the stock gasser trans from the z24 for an ld28 I already have for a future project so I'm not new to nissan diesels. Reading up on ways ton get around the dpc I have read of choke cable setups as well as a 3 position switch so that the start position is still available. If anyone can post some pictures of their setups and a short description it would be greatly appreciated. The plan for the truck is to have a good 2wd runabout with a little better economy than my 1986 isuzu trooper diesel.
Thanks in advance,
Cade
waynosworld

Re: DPC setups

Post by waynosworld »

If you know of a way to use a 3 position switch that has the start mode other than the DPC module, I suppose I would go that route, as that is basically what the DPC module/injection pump controller do, fact is I am wondering if there is a way to rig up the IP controller to a switch to do that now, off, run, and start.
I always use a diesel harness myself, it's not always the easiest, but I like the engine shutting down when I turn the key off.
Whenever the DPC module quits, I have always seen it replaced with the choke cable, I dislike this way, but everyone does it that way because it is cheap.
I know of another guy that set his up with solenoids from the VW diesel world, but that is something I have not looked into.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
heckcreek

Post by heckcreek »

I'm not too worried about it shutting off with the switch. I will be the only person driving the truck and I'm looking to simplify anything I can. I will post what I do to get around it.
Thanks,
Cade
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

heckcreek wrote:I'm not too worried about it shutting off with the switch. I will be the only person driving the truck and I'm looking to simplify anything I can. I will post what I do to get around it.
Thanks,
Cade

A lot of guys just put a choke cable on the arm and have on and off positions, they do not have the start position and the engine starts just fine, so if you want really simple, just leave the injection pump arm free, and turn the engine off by having it in gear and letting the clutch out at an idle, I am not saying this will be safe, but it is simple.
I bought this Volvo wagon with a choke cable, pulled out was off, pushed in was run.
Another thing I just thought of is to have a solenoid on the carb/throttle body to control the idle speed when the key is on, it idles at 700rpms, when you want it to shut down, just turn the key off and the idle will drop so low it cannot run, there was something like that on the Volvo when I bought it, it was a fast idle for when it was cold, but I am sure it could be used to shut it down if the stock idle screw was removed or backed out far enough.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.