Clutch won't disengage

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

indogwetrust88

Clutch won't disengage

Post by indogwetrust88 »

Hi folks,

I'm a new member of the forum. Just bought a diesel 720 that I am extremely happy to posses! Thing is, the clutch has been giving me trouble. When I bought it the cable came unhooked from the pedal when I was driving it. :shock: I pulled over, re-attached it, and it worked again. But I noticed, over time, that the clutch would have a harder time disengaging when I stepped on the pedal. And now it's to the point where I just tried to drive it and the truck wouldnt go into gear. Any gear.... :?
I don't drive much. I pretty much get around on my bicycle unless I need to go out of state. Still, I gotta fix this problem and get back to my family soon. Anybody got some advise?

M
waynosworld

Re: Clutch won't disengage

Post by waynosworld »

I am unsure what cable you are talking about concerning the clutch, could you explain about the cable a little more.
When you push on the clutch pedal, is there any less resistance than there was before?
You first need to check the clutch master cylinder fluid level, it needs to be filled to the full line, once you have checked that and filled it if needed, then push the clutch several times then get out and look under the truck, is there a puddle of fluid on the ground?

indogwetrust88 wrote:Hi folks,

I'm a new member of the forum. Just bought a diesel 720 that I am extremely happy to posses! Thing is, the clutch has been giving me trouble. When I bought it the cable came unhooked from the pedal when I was driving it. :shock: I pulled over, re-attached it, and it worked again. But I noticed, over time, that the clutch would have a harder time disengaging when I stepped on the pedal. And now it's to the point where I just tried to drive it and the truck wouldnt go into gear. Any gear.... :?
I don't drive much. I pretty much get around on my bicycle unless I need to go out of state. Still, I gotta fix this problem and get back to my family soon. Anybody got some advise?

M
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
indogwetrust88

Post by indogwetrust88 »

Alright, I went ouside and looked at the clutch this morning. The thing I thought was a cable is more like a rod now that I can see. It goes through my firewall, I assume to the cylinder on the other side, and in the cab it threads through a piece attached to the back of my clutch pedal.
The resistance on the clutch feels the same as when I bought the truck. I checked the master and slave cylinder fluids and they are both fine.

Thanks for the quick response!
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

indogwetrust88 wrote:Alright, I went ouside and looked at the clutch this morning. The thing I thought was a cable is more like a rod now that I can see. It goes through my firewall, I assume to the cylinder on the other side, and in the cab it threads through a piece attached to the back of my clutch pedal.
The resistance on the clutch feels the same as when I bought the truck. I checked the master and slave cylinder fluids and they are both fine.

Thanks for the quick response!

OK, so does it shift into all the gears normally when the engine is turned off?
Does/did the transmission make any noise that went away when you pushed the clutch in, did the noise go away when you were in 4th gear?
indogwetrust88

Post by indogwetrust88 »

Yep, it'll go into gear just fine when the car is off! Soon as I crank the engine it won't let me into any gear. No weird noise from transmission when idling though.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

indogwetrust88 wrote:Yep, it'll go into gear just fine when the car is off! Soon as I crank the engine it won't let me into any gear. No weird noise from transmission when idling though.

Well I can't really tell what's going on from here, but it sounds like the clutch master or slave is not functioning properly anymore, what baffles me is that you say the pedal feels the same.
I know how I would get it home, but you are not me, so your going to need some help, you are going to have to jack up the front of the truck and put it on a jack stand, then have someone push on the clutch pedal while you are looking at the arm coming out of the transmission, they push the pedal, and you look to see if the arm moves, it has to move more than half an inch, normally it will move 5/8ths to 3/4s of an inch.
If it doesn't move, then I would question that the pedal has any pressure/resistance, and it was likely almost gone when you bought the truck.
indogwetrust88

Post by indogwetrust88 »

Cool,

I'm gonna bleed the clutch this week if I get some time between work. When I figure it out I'll post about it.
If I can take some pictures as I go I'll post them too.

M