My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

waynosworld

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

Post by waynosworld »

Well it is getting worse and I have not a clue if it is the injection pump or the engine, I am inclined to say injection pump but the idle is starting to get rough, it starts easily so I am just guessing.
I also noticed the glow plug warmer light is acting stranger than normal, normally it takes forever for the light to go out, even when warmed up, but recently(since my issues have started) the light goes out very fast even when cold, I have always assumed that once the glow plugs do there job they turn off and stay off and are no part of what keeps a diesel engine running, but I could be wrong, as I always just assumed they were there to start cold engines, they play no part in a running diesel engine do they, they could not cause the issues I am having could they?
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

I appreciate the fact that you are continuing to keep us informed about the situation with your pickup. I am at a loss as to what could be the problem, but am interested in the outcome.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

The only thing I can think of to do now is change out the injection pump to the other used injection pump I have that has had WVO put thru it, that engine was not really all that good of an engine power wise, I suspect that the injection pump was the reason.
The only other thing I can do is replace the whole engine with the crate engine I have, but I would rather not do that, I would rather figure out what the issue is.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

You are correct.
They are there to assist in cold start only. There are some systems ( like on mine and on the Maxima) that put the plugs on a "slow glow" after a cold start up to assist in the initial idling of the engine.
After it's warmed up however this feature shuts off.

Have you checked the coolant for products of combustion ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

The kit for testing for exhaust gasses in the coolant is expensive, my coolant has not dropped, it's a waste of money if the coolant is not dropping, I have no steam/smoke coming out the tail pipe either and this fact is what confuses me, it seems like I would have some kind of smoke, whenever I have ever had a miss/issue of any kind in the past I have had smoke coming out of the tail pipe, this engine is running/losing power clean.
The engine in the shed that has the SD25 injection pump was blowing white smoke for 10 minutes and smelt funny, this is why I am not all that thrilled with the idea of using that injection pump, but it is the only SD25 IP I have that I am willing to remove from any engine, and that engine didn't really have any power, which I suspect is because of the WVO that was put thru the IP.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

So I have been reading a little about power loss in diesel engines, and they keep talking about white, blue, and black smoke telling what the issue is, I have no smoke, at least not enough to see in my mirrors.

The engine starts easily.
It idles great unless I am pulling over because of power loss, then the idle is rough and at a lower RPM.
The engine doesn't knock or ping.
I have no smoke coming out the tail pipe.
Once I stop and let it idle a few minutes it smooths out and I can drive it home as long as I don't drive at steady freeway speeds.
The turbo boost seems to be unaffected, the worse the power loss the more I put my foot into it, the higher the boost PSI, but the EGTs don't seem to rise that much, I have not seen a 1000 degrees in a very long time in this truck.

It is now starting to have issues around the neighborhood, even in first gear recently when I let out the clutch, sometimes while accelerating it starts losing power and I can put my foot into it and it will get its second wind and smooth out and accelerate again(under 40mph), but on the freeway once I start losing power 9 times out of 10 I will go from 65mph to under 50mph quickly while floored, other times I have went from 65mph to 30mph, but once I have power loss on the freeway it don't recover unless I pull over and stop and let it idle.
I am considering trying/installing the other engines injection pump that overheated on me, that one smoked bad but the coolant level was unaffected after I fixed the hose that had the hole in it, but it is too hot this weekend to work outside by the afternoon, so I will likely wait for cooler temps before attacking the injection pump.
I also want to fix the inner fender wells on this truck, at least the passenger side while I have it apart, as the radiator has to be removed, I cut the inner fender to move the battery back an inch, I also cut a big hole to fit the stock diesel air filter housing, I would like to weld that in instead of using the screws that are holding it in now, most that welding would be done inside the fender well instead of the engine compartment.
I am also considering installing the diesel power steering assembly, the pump is down low and the reservoir is tight against the engine just above the front of the injection pump, this would free up some room for a real pre-filter with a water separator.
Doing all this stuff makes some things easier like changing the oil filter, and other things get way tougher, like burying the IP controller behind the power steering pump, if it ever goes bad I will have a problem replacing that without pulling everything apart.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

So I let the fuel settle in the containers that I drained out of the tank, even though it appeared to come out of the tank a different color the first couple minutes I have seen no separation except for the inch or so in the right container and the tiny little bit in the next one, otherwise it don't look like bad fuel to me.
I plan on putting this fuel back into one of my diesel tanks unless someone can give me a reason not to.
Attachments
DSCN7147.JPG
DSCN7147.JPG (468.08 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
DSCN7148.JPG
DSCN7148.JPG (463.51 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
DSCN7146.JPG
DSCN7146.JPG (458.5 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

IMO that fuel looks cloudy to me and there is quite a bit of water in the container on the right

Good clean diesel fuel should look like either one of the containers listed in attached picture.
I would not use that fuel in any other engine. IMO that is. It appears to be contaminated with something.
Attachments
clean diesel.jpg
clean diesel.jpg (313.35 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

That fuel sat for over a week and didn't separate any more than it did right away, the far right two containers had a foreign substance on the bottom, I suspect that is what came out as a funny color(mixed) for the first couple minutes when I drained the tank, after that it came out kind of a clear yellow, them are plastic containers the fuel is in.
I don't need to use that fuel, but I put all the clear fuel in the gas can and put the rest of the contaminated fuel in one container, that one is really ugly now, I will wait for it to settle to see if it separates.
I started over with 5 gallons of new fuel, and when it start losing power I filled it to the top in case the fuel pick up tube had holes in it, that made no difference, the warmer outside, the worse the power loss.
It's supposed to be in the 70s next week, I will get up early one of those days when it is cool and see if it is better.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Did you actually wash out the tank or re-drain it ?

As the nasty stuff shown in the container on the right lives at the bottom of the tank and the pick up is close to the bottom of the tank there could still be some of that in there. I still think I would put a "Clean" jerry can with known "FRESH CLEAN" fuel on the floor of the passenger side, run 2 clear plastic lines out the window and take it for a toot and see. Put a clean inline filter on the inlet line if you like, but take everything of your existing fuel system out of the equation. If you still have an issue then move on to the pump and injectors.
In that jerry can of fuel ( should you decide to try it ) perhaps pour some stanadyne lubricity formula as well ( or performance formula)

http://stanadyneadditives.com/

As for coolant not dropping, you can have exhaust leaking into the coolant changing it's color without the coolant going anywhere.

That bad fuel may also have already done some damage to the either the fuel pump, the injectors, or both.
Something gets hot and sticks or hangs up.

The fact that your EGT's are not going up would suggest that it's not getting any fuel. The more fuel the hotter, it's not getting hotter as there is no fuel.

Keep us posted
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

If you can, hook up the water-in-fuel light. I'm not real familiar with what diesel looks like that has water in, but that one container sure has a lot of bad looking stuff (maybe water) in it. In my opinion it would take way less than can be seen in the other containers to cause problems. I think you got a batch of bad fuel, and it is now rearing it's ugly head. The big question is where you may have got that batch at.

I think you need to figure out a way to do as plenzen recommends. Doing so would most likely help you diagnose where the problem is at (use a filter). The first pic you posted of the inside of the fuel filter looks to me like the stuff in the worst looking container. I'm not an expert at fuel, but I think you got water in your fuel from somewhere.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

The light for the water in the filter is hooked up now, and since I hooked it up it has been acting weird, I may have to unhook it to see if it goes back to normal(the light).
I may have assumed something incorrectly, I just assumed that if there was water in the fuel it would separate from the diesel fuel and settle on the bottom, is that incorrect, can the water mix with the diesel and just make the diesel a different color?
When I drained the tank I put the front wheels on ramps, then I raised the back of the truck up till the drain hole was the lowest part of the tank, I then drained it, then I poured around a half gallon of fuel in the tank and let it drain into a clean container, I am assuming it came out the color it went in, it looked clean in the white bucket.
I have been wondering if when the pre-filter plugged up a while back and I drove it as far as I could drive it before I pulled the filter if that could have done something to the pump, I have had that happen to my other truck(720) a bunch of times and it never caused an issue like I am having now, but them engines were not turbocharged either.
As I mentioned before, it is getting worse as the outside temps have raised, I lose power now just driving to the Pizza place a mile away, if I bought more bad fuel then I don't believe I could tell as my gas cans are red plastic, I bought fuel in two different places, the first 5 gallons from Union76, the rest of the tank from Shell when the fuel filter was empty and I decided to fill it up to see if the pick up tube had a hole in it, it made no difference, I had power loss and as usual if I let it idle for a while it would sorta what I would call catch up and I could get up to freeway speed again before I would lose power, now I loose power on the side streets, the longer I drive it the worse it gets.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

To answer Don's question, yes, water can remain suspended in a bio diesel fuel blend, as that's what appears he has from the color of it. That may also account for the weird activity of your water in fuel light.

Here is a pretty good video on water in bio fuel blend and straight Diesel fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lh4qhXc_5s

What you are showing in your bottles is pretty much spot on for water contaminated bio/blend diesel

Go get some #2 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, someplace. Put the jerry can on the floor of the front seat, pour some Stanedyne formula in, run 2 lines to it and go for a toot and see if the problem still exists.

The heat factor you are speaking of ( IMO) is probably related to the water, or, sadly, damage may have already been done from it. Hopefully not.

but
That's a guess
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I am not running bio-fuel, I am just running #2 diesel from the fuel station.
I have never bought bio-fuel in my life, I have bought a truck that had veggie oil in the tank and it had a small tank in the engine compartment that held diesel for shut down purposes, that is the injection pump I have been considering installing on this engine to see if I get rid of the issue I am having, if it has different issues then I will know it is the injection pump.
My 720 has the same fuel in it from the same fuel station and it has no issues, I suppose I could go buy some from the other Union76 station, but the way I see it that fuel likely comes from the same place, maybe even the same fuel truck, but them stations are not owned by the same guy.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Pump ain't labeled B 5 or something like that ?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN