My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

Post by asavage »

I'm at work now, where it's hard for me to remote in to my home box and run Nissan FAST. I'll try to remember to look up that strainer part No. tonight.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

The auto parts store had none of the filters you posted numbers for, most were discontinued.
I found the AC Delco GF630 on ebay, but there was no photo of it, and the lists it gave for the vehicles it fit were all gas vehicles.

I took the gauge back and showed it to them, they ordered me another one, I told the guy it likely went to 15PSI when he asked me even though the gauge only goes to 10PSI, it didn't faze him/no reaction.

I will go to the Nissan dealer when I get the part number for the strainer, I showed that strainer to the auto parts store guy and he looked surprised, he said he had never seen anything like it before, most these kids in them stores were not even born when these trucks were made.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The pre-filter is to protect the lift pump from crud large enough to damage the check valve or pistons. I'm not sure that it's even really needed, unless you have a lot of rust in your tank, but Nissan thought it wise to include one so I would too. 1981 720 diesel didn't have a pre-filter.

It wasn't expensive at the dealer, twelve years ago. Nissan 16401-36W01, but it's discontinued now.

The Delco GF630 is still available via Amazon, $6.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Well it has turned out that the auto parts store sold me a filter that is made for gas only as I looked up the part number, I am lucky I didn't have the same issue, I kept asking if it was a diesel filter over and over, but they sold me one that had a metal outside so I could not see inside, this one also has a Cellulose filter media, Cellulose is mainly used to produce paperboard and paper.

I bet that this filter they sold me is exactly like the cheapo filters I was using before that normally lasted me a year.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

waynosworld wrote: . . . there is a screen in the bottom lift pump banjo bolt, does anyone have a part number for that screen, I broke my new one putting it back in the banjo bolt to aggressively I guess, I used the old one out of the other lift pump I removed, it was really dirty.
DSCN7176.JPG
I don't recall seeing that part before.

Here's what I looked up on FAST and ran through Google: 16656-37501

Regards,
Al S.

waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Well I have two banjo bolts with that screen/strainer in it, it threads into the end of the banjo bolt.
I guess I will go to "diesel injection services" the next time I have a chance to get a proper pre-filter and and this part also.
All this over what is likely a pre-filter, I spent days and days trying to figure this out, and I still have not driven it with everything piped back to normal, it's too hot outside and I don't want to over heat the engine, I need a larger radiator now, it was fine without the turbocharger(7 years), but now it runs hotter(coolant) with the turbocharger, way hotter than I am comfortable with, I need a 3 core radiator now, but this is something I can understand.
Attachments
DSCN7182.JPG
DSCN7182.JPG (471.41 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
DSCN7181.JPG
DSCN7181.JPG (472.9 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

waynosworld wrote: I need a larger radiator now, it was fine without the turbocharger(7 years), but now it runs hotter(coolant) with the turbocharger, way hotter than I am comfortable with, I need a 3 core radiator now, but this is something I can understand.
I don't know how much difference there is between the 520 and 620 pickup radiator core supports, but with some modification it appears that the diesel radiator for the 720 might fit the 620 core support. The flat rib that is on the top of the core support, and the radiator opening, are the items that will need to be modified. In the area where the radiator sets that top rib is in the way of the radiator setting all the way against the core support, and possibly creating clearance problems for the SD motor. If my memory is correct it seems like you told me that you have a diesel 720 radiator. That radiator just barely fits between the headlights of the 620. If the main vertical portion of the sheet metal of the core support radiator opening was enlarged a bit I think that the larger cooling area of the 720 radiator would work, if the core support for the 520 is close to the same as the 620 core support.

I don't like the idea of cutting that rib out as I feel that, along with enlarging the radiator opening, that would compromise the strength of the core support. But, if the rib was bent down from the stock L shape into a U shape in the area the radiator would set in I think that somewhere close to 3/4 inch could be gained.

I would post pics to show you what I am talking about. But, I am not able at the moment to find the memory card for the little camera that I am used to using, and I don't know how to post pics from my phone. Maybe tomorrow I can get my daughter to help me figure out how to post pics from my phone. I think that pics would help explain what I am trying to say.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I have a modified 2 core 521 radiator in my 521 diesel truck, I tried to put the 720 radiator I have in the 521, I even used a hammer on the inner headlight buckets to make room side to side, but the radiator is too tall and I could not close the hood.
I know nothing about the 620, never owned one in my life, there are differences between the 521 and 620, I hope the 720 diesel radiator fits in there for you, custom radiators are expensive, I will likely have to spend $300.00 to $400.00 for one or more, basically I am hoping they can put 3 cores in my radiator tanks and that it will clear my radiator, otherwise I will have to start looking for one the right size in the wrecking yards that will fit in a 521 and yet be large enough also.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I'm am going to stick my neck out here and opine that a new core (two row) in your 521 radiator will be plenty of cooling surface area for an SD, even with a turbocharger installed.

Radiator shops used to "rod out" radiators (remove top & bottom tanks, run a rod down the tubes, to clear them of deposits) but I doubt any radiator shop still left will do that anymore. I imagine that they will only solder in a new core to your old tanks.

Two-row or three-row, the SD just doesn't manufacture that much heat and either should be fine, given adequate airflow and water flow.
Regards,
Al S.

waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

All I know is that it is running hotter than it ever has before, and it happened suddenly, ever since it warmed up outside.
I also flushed the coolant system out a while back, it took a very long time(over an hour) to flush it and not have brown liquid coming out the lower drain hole, but I kept adding water while it was running till it came out clear, I put new anti-freeze in it and in a couple days it was brown again, never in my life has that happened that fast before and I flushed it out real good.
When I was watching the flow in the radiator hole it appeared to flow real fast past the hole, so i assumed the water pump was good, the water drained out the drain hole fast.
This coolant temp issue only appeared after I put the turbo on it, I noticed the temp raised a little on the long up hill grade on the freeway just before the rest area on I5 at the 55 mile marker post south bound, and it also only shows up at freeway speeds when it is warm outside, that trip on I5 and the one to Hood River were just fine temp wise, but it was only in the 60s/70s on them trips.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I went to the radiator shop first today, they cannot make me a 3 core without basically making one from scratch, new tanks, core, new everything and it will be north of $500.00, it will cost me $120.00 to have mine boiled out(cleaned) and tested, they also said they cannot get a 2 core anymore of the type I have, so any new core will have to have a modified tank top and bottom, I saw an Aluminum radiator sitting against the wall and asked about aluminum and he said they didn't weld aluminum so the 521 aluminum radiator I have cannot be modified by them to fit the SD25 diesel engine outlets.
Then I went to "Diesel Injection Services" with my pre-filter and my banjo bolt screen and they had neither of them new, they found a used banjo bolt screen that they gave me, as for the pre-filter all they had were the paper element type or a screen type with too large of fittings.
They(DIS) sent me to "Oil Filter Services" for the fuel pre-filter and all they had were the paper type also, but that place was very close to Sauter Spray Equipment" so I spent almost three hundred there on triggers, a curved wand, and a pump head.
I then went to a friends house and bought 5 Datsun 620 disc brake rims, two sets of almost brand new tires and four other ones which 3 were on 521 rims, one new florescent light with 6 new bulbs, and 4 master locks with one key for all of them, I got all this for $150.00, since I have a tire machine it seemed like a deal to me.
I drove the 521 and everything was alright till I headed home and hit the freeway, it got warm again, the needle was 3/4s of the way over, but it was 98 degrees outside when I arrived home and there was a lot of traffic, once it got up there even though the traffic came to a stop in several places the engine never cooled down once it got up there, but I had no power loss what so ever the whole trip today.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I pulled the radiator today and blew all the fins out with air, there were only a few bugs in the fins, I also straightened a few fins, in the end it was not plugged up with dirt, so that was not the issue.
I also stuck the hose in all the orifices, the inside is not plugged up either, none of the hoses were kinked, it all looked fine to me.
I filled it up with water after flushing it again, and then took it for a test drive, it still ran warm, not as warm as the last drive but warmer than I care for, but it was almost 10 degrees cooler today, if I am going to drive it year round I believe I need a larger radiator.

I flushed it one more time and then did the antifreeze thing then drove it a couple miles, the coolant was still green when I got back home.

I also ordered a LUBER-FINER FP886 diesel pre-filter on Ebay the night before, it's a diesel filter, this morning after I ate breakfast I noticed I had 3 emails, they cancelled the order and refunded my money, this diesel pre-filter thing has to be a joke, I just have to be using the wrong search words or something.
I have used the cheapo pre-filters for years without issues, so I am almost to the point where I will just continue to use them as the nicer ones I tried to use won't/don't work, I will look around a little while longer but this is appearing to be a waste of time, the diesel place didn't even have what I needed.

I just bought a strainer type diesel pre-filter a few hours ago, we shall see if that one get cancelled, it's for the Mercedes diesel, not what I wanted, but it appears I cannot be to choosy as there isn't much out there.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

For cheap and non-cleanable, Baldwin makes a nylon mesh filter, Baldwin BF7725. Oil Filter Service in Portland carries (carried) Baldwin. I used to buy diesel filters by the case from them, about twenty years ago. Wal-Mart seems to sell this filter for $3 on their website, or $7 from an Amazon supplier. 8mm/5/16" lines.
Amazon wrote:Replaces: Atlas Copco 29148002 and John Deere AL78988 and Mercedes-Benz 14772101, 14776901
Fits: Mercedes-Benz Automotive
That may or may not be the one you've got on order.

On the radiator, I'm suspicious of the shop not being able to re-core with two-row and reuse your old tanks.

I'd bet your money that re-coring your radiator would clear up the running hot issue. It's not water flow in your case, it's insufficient heat transfer due to scaling (a guess, but a good guess).

I have run the SD with no fan at all, and it does not overheat, even in the 90s (until you come to a stop for a while). I've run several cars over the years with no fan or only an aux. elec. fan with little issue. For me, I hate the noise of the mechanical fan all the time; even good fan clutches are sometimes too noisy for my taste.

Granted, the 521 radiator is dinky, but I don't think it's your issue. Heck, they put A/C on 720 SDs without beefing up the radiator.
Regards,
Al S.

waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I was at "oil filter services" in Portland OR and they said everything they had had paper elements so I left.
I suppose I am being a little too picky, I have been trying to find one like the photos posted that said correct and in-correct with the fittings both on top pointed 90 degrees to the side, the latest one I ordered that doesn't seem to be cancelled yet is this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Fuel-Pre ... PX&vxp=mtr
It has one coming out the top at 90 degrees and the other strait out the bottom, I think I can work with that one.
My issue is that I have a filter like that Baldwin BF7725 with fittings at each end and the fuel hose is almost kinking as it has to make a 90 degree bend on both ends, if I had more room in this engine compartment I would just get this one, but I have no room on that side of the engine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Filter-A ... SwEppUQ812
Attachments
DSCN7190.JPG
DSCN7190.JPG (466.64 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
DSCN7191.JPG
DSCN7191.JPG (460.9 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Looks a lot like the wix 33006 filter I mentioned on Page 5 and the one that I use.
Mercedes diesel John Deere etc.applications.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartAp ... Part=33006

I had issues with temp appearing to run hot. I used a probe in the radiator when the thermostat was open and it was normal. I changed the temp sensor and it went back to appearing normal on the gauge again.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN