Sedan Emergency Brakes

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Carimbo

Sedan Emergency Brakes

Post by Carimbo »

Parking brake lever was at the end of its travel and not applying enough brake to hold the car on a moderate hill, so I removed the rear wheels to check the operation of the linkage at the brakes.

These operate via a mechanical spring-loaded lever on each caliper body, forcing the brake pads against the disc.

Passenger side pads were 10% left while driver side looked fairly new at 90%. Pass. side pkg. brake lever was stuck in the full apply position, caused by a siezed cable in the flexible housing that runs from the brake to the "Y" transition on the cable running back from the emergency brake lever.

Removed the cable/housing assembly and spent quite a bit of time trying to flush it with WD-40. Couldn't get the lube to flow out the other end and the inner cable will slide in the housing only with much force. A little better than before but not satisfactory. Reinstalled in the car, applied/released the pkg. brake and verified it is still sticking shut on the pass. side.

I need to start looking for a replacement cable assy. unless anybody has some great tips on freeing stuck cables.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

NAPA doesn't seem to have a line on those cables. Do you want me to get out the Nissan part number for a pass. side cable tonight? Or are you thinking used?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Any rotor warpage?

My parking brake cable is stuck, fortunatley in a full off position but its still stuck. If anybody finds a cheap fix for it tune me in.

I tried the whole spray WD-40 thing and try moving it with vice grips, dont even bother it dosent budge. But then again my parking brake was used roughly 4 times in the cars life so mine are really stuck.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

asavage wrote:NAPA doesn't seem to have a line on those cables. Do you want me to get out the Nissan part number for a pass. side cable tonight? Or are you thinking used?
I'll take what I can get. Lynwood pickapart had an 83 sedan, I ran up there expecting to pull the cable and get out. Turned out it was stuck worse than mine! Not much of value on that car except the std. alloy wheels but no center caps.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Sedan driver's side cable, to Jun-82 = 36531-W1300, $60

After Jun-82, 36531-W1306, $71 (part No. changes to -F6000 ?).

Sedan passenger side cable, to Jun-82 = 36530-W1300, $72

After Jun-82, 36530-W1306, $72
Last edited by asavage 17 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

For convenience sake I called a local dealership-- they wanted over $100 and a few days for this e-brake passenger side cable.

Found one at a JY down the street from said dealership, pulled it and worked it w/ spraylube and then the messy black graphite speedo cable lube, installed it and functions much better now.

The brake pads on that side were worn down to paper-thin on the leading edge.

The e-brake needs to work-- I like the thought of at least SOMETHING to fall back on in case of hydraulic failure. And the auto trans Park position is not kind to the motor mounts when parking on hills.