Transmission temperature?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

fud2468

Model T Ford

Post by fud2468 »

Al, the E-brake was set by that same lever. Pulled all the way back it was in neutral plus the brake was set, straight up it was in neutral only, forward was high gear.
Yes, the tranny had oil in it, and I think the drag was because of the oil on the high speed clutch disc.
Oiling system included a funnel at inside top of tranny case and as the flywheel turned, the magneto magnets attached to it took oil from the lower part of the tranny case and threw it into the funnel, then gravity took it to the mains. The front main would get starved going up a long steep hill. Rod bearings were by splash from oil running back from front of engine into 4 little troughs. There really was no sump in the engine, nearly all the oil was in the tranny case.
The foot brake pedal contracted a band on brake drum in tranny, which was attached to the driveshaft, and braked the rear wheels, there really was pretty even braking that way, considering...
(Well, I said I could go on & on-have barely got started. Next I need to describe the magneto plus battery setup)
Ray Mac
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:Since we're swerving into the anals of history ...
Yup, we've hijacked the thread. Sorry, Kassim . . .

I, too, have a vintage Dykes but it's not here, it's in long-term storage 50 miles from here where I haven't been in years. Too hard to get to.

I wish you had links to versions of those pages that I could actually read. No way can I read those.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote: While the above may be true for HD and off-road heavy equipment, I am very sceptical about these numbers for on-road use. 100k miles? Yeah, that's pushing it for ATF but for contamination reasons not oil breakdown. That's for decent quality ATF though.

The number I have the most scepticism for is that 175°->195° halving-of-life thing.
As usual, the Amsoil lab has the most convenient numbers available.

http://www.performancemotoroil.com/tran ... fluid.html

When you have only a 'heat exchanger' located in the "cooled" side of the radiator and unless the transmission is under considerable stress, then the ATF temperature will pretty closely follow the coolant temperature exiting the radiator. Only an oil-to-air radiator is an oil "cooler."
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:
philip wrote:Since we're swerving into the anals of history ...
Yup, we've hijacked the thread. Sorry, Kassim . . .

I, too, have a vintage Dykes but it's not here, it's in long-term storage 50 miles from here where I haven't been in years. Too hard to get to.

I wish you had links to versions of those pages that I could actually read. No way can I read those.
I'm really overdue for a new scanner. Even at 600 dpi, this thing just doesn't have the resolution it used to.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:I'm really overdue for a new scanner. Even at 600 dpi, this thing just doesn't have the resolution it used to.
I scan most text at 300dpi, so 600dpi is fine. But your published pic is only 576 pixels wide, and when you compress text down that far, I can't read it. Scan to about 2400 wide, make a copy that is 600w and publish it but link it to the "fullsize" version.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:
asavage wrote:The number I have the most scepticism for is that 175°->195° halving-of-life thing.
As usual, the Amsoil lab has the most convenient numbers available.
I run AMSOil ATF (and other products) but throwing the synthetic vs mineral issue into the mix complicates the premise that temps as "low" as 195° halves the life of the ATF, which is why I forbore to quote AMSOil, Redline, and other easy sources. I was hoping for something from Chevron or Valvoline, but didn't get very far before I had to go do something else.
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I run Amsoil ATF and I used to run Amsoil gear lube for the rear end (now it leaks so much its not worth using amsoil until I fix the problem)

Amsoils good stuff, just a little more pricey but its good stuff
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

this thread refers to life of oil/trans due to temp.but more important problem for us has been hot trans,blowing oil out of the filler neck or the breather on top of the trans setting fire to the vehicle.i dont now if the oil is just expanded due to heat or boiling/vapourising.oil colers must be fitted before the radiator heat exchanger and attached to the bumper with a 6 in air gap to the condencor.the

RB30 nissan auto fitted to some GM V series has a hose added looped up the filler tube support it was fed to the right side away from the cat convertor.and the cooler is fitted outboard in front of the tyre.some aust nissan auto have the filler neck fitted so they cant spill on to hot items.older BW35 often had a nylon hose fitted to the top of the filler tube.

the TH 700R4 replaced the EL4N71B [it was engineered to use a VG30,at the last minute a buick 3.8 was engineered to fit like a VG30.]it was claimed in the new model release that the hose was fitted to stop water entry a problen not experience in other markets..several years after its release a recall of the vehicles to be fitted with a locking dipstick.the V6 and V8[pontiac GTO] have hot exhaust manifolds on both sides,adding to the risk of fire.

several LPG powered burnt to the ground[exploded] towing light loads.the problem was traced to cooler pipes not fitted corectly,then faulty power steering hoses,checks for kinked breather pipes..then finally the dip stick.

It is a little hard to work this out as the car is normally molten.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I installed a trans cooler, its a real small one and its mounted right behind the bumper so I shouldnt have temperature problems in the winter. Ill snap some pics soon.

Also I figured I would install dual 9" pusher fans behind the grille, help blow more air radiators so it could help out with the slight overheating im getting when I idle in traffic for along time with the a/c on. Also I have the fans sitting in my garage so I dont see why I shouldnt>>>>>>>

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
fud2468

Tranny temp

Post by fud2468 »

I seem to recall once reading in an SAE publication that ATF had to at least periodically get up past the boiling point of water for a certain length of time to get rid of moisture that gets into the tranny. I also read about experiments that had been done (this was 30+ years ago) with sealing the tranny with an inert gas so that the ATF could not oxydize.
Not clear, davehoos, whether you meant GM trannies could, or were, being mated to Datsun engines, or whether you meant both GM engines and trannies were being installed together into Datsuns
Ray Mac.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Tranny temp

Post by asavage »

fud2468 wrote:I seem to recall once reading in an SAE publication that ATF had to at least periodically get up past the boiling point of water for a certain length of time to get rid of moisture that gets into the tranny. I also read about experiments that had been done (this was 30+ years ago) with sealing the tranny with an inert gas so that the ATF could not oxydize.
I don't know how much moisture collects in an transmission, but I can verify that there are a whole slug of ATs that have no dipstick. Lincoln Navigator, various VWs, Isuzu Trooper '95-on, one Oldmobile (Aurora? Intrigue?). MB/Dodge Sprinter, though they have a dipstick tube at least, and you can buy the dipstick aftermarket.

These are "sealed for life" in that once your ATF level falls off, the life of the trans is over -- I guess.
Regards,
Al S.

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

GM in australia[+ export] used nissan skyline RB30E/RB30ET with jatco trans.1986-88[export 90's].this was jointly designed for aust manufacture.nissan fits family II engine to N13 pulsar/astra using CA mounting points and transmisions.

88 model[VN] should have been fitted with an australian made VG30,and a range of transmissions jointly designed by jatco-BW.the body shell is made to have this powerplant,at last moment the buick is adapted and is very rough..
GM-holden 4cyl engine should have been used in japan by nissan ,some parts books show family 2 engines in R32 and CA18,20 get GM-opel engine mounts..

BW[ION] designs a 4 speed auto used by ford and others.LE95 now have no filler tube as peopl toped it up with cheep oil.they claim if its low the gears wont change properly so you go to the dealer.

ZF dont want you touching trans,the oil is the life blood that dies with the trans.locally you cant buy oil with out a good reason and only from the dealer.
its filled at a set temp so its very hard to check.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Thanks for these startling revelations.
I guess I'm locked in a time warp, destined to stay frozen in 1982.
Ray Mac
kassim503

Re: Tranny temp

Post by kassim503 »

asavage wrote:I don't know how much moisture collects in an transmission, but I can verify that there are a whole slug of ATs that have no dipstick. Lincoln Navigator, various VWs, Isuzu Trooper '95-on, one Oldmobile (Aurora? Intrigue?). MB/Dodge Sprinter, though they have a dipstick tube at least, and you can buy the dipstick aftermarket.

These are "sealed for life" in that once your ATF level falls off, the life of the trans is over -- I guess.
If I bought one of those vehicles I would take it back for a full refund, thats just plain stupid.

I guess moisture could collect in a transmission, because it is a tunnel and condensation could build up on the walls, but im not too sure how much condensation could build up, but its possible. Transmissoins dont have any internal combustion going on either so you dont have any of the combustion materials raining down on the fluid that needs to be burned off. Im not too worried about the trans not getting up to temp in the summer, the cooler is small and the tranny gets up to 180+ easy with the A/C on.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Drove around today, wondered if the cooler would take up some of the tranny fluid, check it, its low, oops. So I added some fluid and I had a brain fart and forgot i was filling fluid, i poured 3/4 a quart in. Is the fluid going to foam?
see the level, click below- just realized you cant read what it says, it says this in this order, Cold (notch)-level when cold (fluid)-Hot (notch)-Level when hot (fluid)

pics of the cooler- it keeps it the tranny under 190, im happy
pics, click like before
Image Image Image Image

So does anybody think its at a level where it would foam and ruin my trans? Tommorow the cars probably going to be going all day and the last thing I need is a messed up tranny.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012