front suspension problems

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

front suspension problems

Post by kassim503 »

Today i made a few discoveries about my suspension, probably none of them where good discoveries either :(

Well to start I found the steering rack shifts back and forth something like 1/4 an inch when shaking the wheel left and right, is this normal?

Another thing is there was this humming noise coming out of the front wheels at high speed, the kind trucks make and school busses make at high speeds, that tire tread slap whine, im pretty sure the tire pressure is ok, alignment should be alright as well, also there isnt any play in the steering system either. Later tonight im going to rotate the tires and check the wheel bearings, anybody think this could be a sign of burnt up wheel bearings? Whats the chances of a wheel off condition with this noise? its accompanied by a little vibration as well.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Drivers side wheel bearing is nearing the end of its life, the hub was packed with metal shavings and sad pale looking grease was on the inside, I checked the bearing and there was alot play in the rollers, surprisingly with all the metal shavings and play, the races where ok and the rollers only had minor pitting.

Well there where the nissan NTN made in japan original bearings, and at 175k I think I got a good run so im not complaining.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
Carimbo

Re: front suspension problems

Post by Carimbo »

kassim503 wrote:Well to start I found the steering rack shifts back and forth something like 1/4 an inch when shaking the wheel left and right, is this normal?
No. You should fix this immediately. You DO NOT want the steering rack shifting position relative to the chassis.
The mounting insulators must be shot or missing, or the bracket clamps are extremely loose, because there are collars on the rack cylinder tubes that arrest the lateral movement.

My FSM for '82 Maxima gives 25 - 33 ft. lbs. for the rack mounting bracket bolts.
kassim503

Re: front suspension problems

Post by kassim503 »

Carimbo wrote:
kassim503 wrote:Well to start I found the steering rack shifts back and forth something like 1/4 an inch when shaking the wheel left and right, is this normal?
No. You should fix this immediately. You DO NOT want the steering rack shifting position relative to the chassis.
The mounting insulators must be shot or missing, or the bracket clamps are extremely loose, because there are collars on the rack cylinder tubes that arrest the lateral movement.

My FSM for '82 Maxima gives 25 - 33 ft. lbs. for the rack mounting bracket bolts.
Ill take a look at it tommorow, Im almost positive the collars where not installed correctly, they dont seem centered on the mounts. Another possibility is the half rings that are bolted down onto the chassis are bent or damaged somehow, I changed the rack in a hurry and I remember something about the half rings needing alot of work to bolt down or something along the lines of that.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Turns out it dosent move as much as I thought, it really moves something like 1/32 of an inch, its really just the rubber collars inside the mount getting squished. Does this sound safe because I just wasted 2 hours of my life reinstalling the rack and it does the same thing.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

1/32 inch lateral movement seems more like the normal give in the rubber mounting insulators. If you reduced the lateral movement from 1/4 inch to 1/32 inch, you did not waste your two hours.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Then a job well done to me :) :) :)

Car dropped sand in my eye though :(

227K SOLD 6/7/2012