faster gasser

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

faster gasser

Post by kassim503 »

does anybody know if its possible to run a accel eletronic super coil in a 83 gasser without any problems, such as distributor arcing or coil incompatiblilty with the ignition module? http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... &langId=-1
or one of these
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... &langId=-1

ive never seen a z or a maxima with one of these so im in the dark about this
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The usual way to get higher coil secondary voltage is to wind the primary with lower impedance, which requires more current to flow. That current is controlled by breaker contacts (points) in old engines (more or less pre-80; pre-75 for American stuff), and with a honking transistor in the ignitor module on breakerless (electronic) ignitions.

The ignitor on these early Nissans had a fairly high failure rate, at least on the Nissan 4-cyl rigs. While there is such a thing as a high efficiency coil, one which can output higher voltage for the same primary winding current draw, it's debatable (in my mind) whether you need 42Kv to get your motor running. And while I haven't scoped an L24e with one secondary wire pulled, I imagine that the OEM system can probably top 30Kv in dry air.

If it were mine, I'd replace the spark plug wires with high-performance versions before changing the coil. All kinds of voltage loss occurs in degraded OEM plug wires, and that will definitely result in lower power, reduced mileage, hard wet-weather starting, etc.

The OEM coil is adequate for any use you're likely to put your car to, IMO.

[later]

Oh, you asked about distributor cap arcing too. With the secondary ignition system in good order (no open plug wires, reasonable gap on (not antique) plugs), the secondary voltage provided by the coil won't rise above OEM spec no matter whose coil you use. The secondary voltage only rises when needed, whether by a lean condition (plugged injector or vacuum leak), a broken or very worn spark plug, or a break in a plug wire. In those condtions, secondary voltage will continue to rise (assuming a ready supply of primary current) until something gives: the coil's output ceiling is reached, the primary current ceiling is reached, or the insulation in some part of the secondary system breaks down (arcing).

IOW, there won't be a problem with arcing unless something abnormal occurs (someone pulls off a plug wire, unplugs an injector, etc.). But I still don't feel it's a good investment of money -- buy 8mm plug wires instead.

Things are a different story if we're talking about multiple spark discharge (MSD) or capacitive discharge . . . but you didn't ask about that ;)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

thanks! id rather spend the 50 dollars on come quality wires instead of a coil that i wont maximize. :D im pretty sure MSD wont be an option for me even though it is the best ignition that you can run
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012