powersteering not working

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

powersteering not working

Post by kassim503 »

Even though this might have a obious answer, I want to be positive on it because I cant do the "ill throw parts at it" until I find the problem thing.

The powersteering is not working (duhh see the title). It didnt just get worse and worse and worse until it stopped alltogether, it was working and now it does, but very badly. What happens is that when I turn the wheel it turn and there are these "walls" of resistance, and after you crank the wheel past the "Wall" itll give you a split second of power.

Im not too sure about the differences in engine speed, more extensive testing will follow tommorow

Sounds like the steering rack right? I wouldnt mind but the rack is fairly new
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
philip
Deceased

Re: powersteering not working

Post by philip »

kassim503 wrote:SNIP What happens is that when I turn the wheel it turn and there are these "walls" of resistance, and after you crank the wheel past the "Wall" itll give you a split second of power. SNIP
My first guess would be a loose drive belt. If the belt has sections missing from the drive surfaces ... slippage.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
kassim503

Re: powersteering not working

Post by kassim503 »

philip wrote: My first guess would be a loose drive belt. If the belt has sections missing from the drive surfaces ... slippage.

Actually you might be very very very right. Ill have a helper crank the wheel for me while I look at the pulley, the belt on there is so old i think i even saw it splitting at the joint :shock: :shock:

I neglect belts, I keep them until they glaze over, and in most cases they wont glaze for many many many miles. The only belt I change is the belt that the water pump is connected to, to me all the others can just hang out until they snap off, because when they snap its not really that important, unless its the a/c belt during the summers in southern california :D

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I've driven cars with belts so loose/bad that they would stop working when you drove through a puddle (throwing water on belt made the belt not drive).

In order of likelyhood: belt, fluid (level or contamination), rack, pump.

Oh, I also saw one pump with the key left off the sheave. It would drive the shaft sporadically.

The gasser L24e PS pumps (Saginaw & Atsugi) are different from the diesel one (different Atsugi).

(click on image for larger)
Last edited by asavage 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I was on my way to work, part of a good 50 mile trip, and I did one of those one handed turns because my other hand out the window is the way to be and the steering just went out completley. Man this car is hard to turn! Turns out the old belt just worn down and snapped. Replaced with gates one, all betta

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

The rubber high pressure hose, and the low pressure hose leaks on the connection between the hose and the line. I know the low pressure line is easy to replace, its fastened by hose clamps, i just have to find a wrapped hose of the same diameter, probably 3/8th.

But what about the High pressure line? Is there any way to repair the rubber hoses by cutting the old stamp clamps out and just replacing it with a standard hose clamp?

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

kassim503 wrote:I know the low pressure line is easy to replace, its fastened by hose clamps, i just have to find a wrapped hose of the same diameter, probably 3/8th.
Not exactly. Specify hose "for use with automatic transmissions" to get the higher-temperature-rated hose. Do not use fuel line.
But what about the High pressure line? Is there any way to repair the rubber hoses by cutting the old stamp clamps out and just replacing it with a standard hose clamp?
No. That line runs over 1000 PSI, no hose clamps for that.

Check if the entire line is available for under $60 first. The labor involves jacking the car and taking off at least two line clamps on the rack. Not too bad but not as easy as an old Chevy truck.

Failing that, I'm certain that Matt/goglio704 can help with fabricating a half-line, a better solution than my own fabrication.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

apparantly NAPA sells the line+ hose for 50 bucks, so ill probably do that whenever i get the time and courage to do the job, right now its not leaking all that bad so im just adding fluid.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012