Sedan parking brake cable

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

goglio704

Sedan parking brake cable

Post by goglio704 »

Al,

When you get a chance, could you check the part number for the driver's side parking brake cable for the 83 sedan? The cable is totally frozen and I'm sick of only having half or less of a parking brake. I just don't trust leaving a stick shift in gear as a parking brake. I've seen it go bad with my own eyes at least once. It might be O.K. if I lived somewhere flat, but flat ain't from around here. :wink: If anybody has a good one for sale used, I'd be interested, but I'm not going to hold my breath. With most of these cars being automatic, I bet functional cables are scarce.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

They seem to get corroded inside and freeze up. Difficult, frustrating, and time-consuming to free it up. Sorry I don't have the P/N but I saw a good drivers side one (easy-sliding non-corroded) at the JY last week. If you want that one I could get it for you and send it. Last time I looked into getting a new one (pass. side) the dealer wanted over $100 for it. Al found it at nismo for $60-70; check out this post.

You are on the right track to repair it, it's well worth the effort. Why stress the motor mounts parking on a hill? You may also need to park it while letting the engine running one time.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Al,

I didn't remember this having been covered before. The part number in the other thread is for the driver's side? Just wondering since Carimbo was looking for the passenger side if I read it right.

Carimbo,

I would be interested in the cable from the junkyard. My cable is past salvaging. If you get a chance to get the cable, I'll buy it from you. Thanks for the help.

Maybe this thread needs to merge with the other one?
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote:The part number in the other thread is for the driver's side?
I've updated the post to include both sides of the Sedan now.
Maybe this thread needs to merge with the other one?
Can't merge threads. I can split them, but no merge.

==========

I was at Sherwood U-Pull-It today (Tigard, Ore.) since I was driving right by it, coming back from Carlton and headed back north to Wash. and they had NO Gen1 Maximas, and only one Gen2. The U-Pull-It chain has really gone downhill in the Portland area. They used to post in the lobby a list of ALL cars in the yard, so you could figure out if it was worth paying admission ($1), and they also posted (weekly) every OTHER yard's inventory, four yards in the greater Portland area, so if your yard didn't have your car, you could tell which other yard did.

And if you paid admission but bought nothing, you got a special "free admission card" to get in free next time.

Now they've all got new buildings, but no inventory in the lobby so you never know, admission is $2, no "free admission" card, and all the imports are lumped in one big section with no segregation. It's really sad how they've gone downhill over the past six years.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

That's exactly the way they run the Wrench-n-go in Des Moines. There's no inventory list, $1 to get in (10% off on fourth visit if you prepay your admissions) and no free passes. They also rotate their entire stock through in 45-60 days. You do have 30 day money back guarentee.

Now that scrap recylcers have integrated vertically with salvage yards as a guarenteed source of materials there's little concern over whether parts sell or not. In fact I'm sure at least three RD200 rear axles have been squished at Wrench-n-go to date. Also, if say wheels are returned by a customer because they didn't like / want them they don't go back into the field to the car they came from, they go into the scrap aluminum dumpster. It's really unfortunate and much less profitable from a parts sales standpoint.

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Al,

Thanks for the part numbers.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD