24v help

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

RMP&O

24v help

Post by RMP&O »

I have this 83 24v SD33 Patrol. The previous owner put in 12v glow plugs which he wired up through a 12v solenoid or relay. Power was pulled from one of the two batteries and it has a push button on the dash. This worked ok when it was warm out but now it is cold, ie here in Wyoming below freezing. We hit -8 one night this week. Now I don't like 12v stuff in my 24v system and on top of that the 12v g/p I don't think are getting hot enough when it is really cold.

So I bought some 24v glow plugs for the SD33. I also bought a new 24v solenoid. But I wired it up the same as the 12v stuff since I am unsure how to supply 24v to the solenoid and thus my 24v glow plugs.

So my question is how do I safely wire up and supply 24v to the new solenoid and glow plugs? I tried to add a second wire from the other battery so that I had 2 wires to the solenoid both coming from the positive on each battery. But this caused the second wire to get hot and start smoking. Had I not unhooked it right away it would have melted and maybe caused a fire.

I know this is simple to do but I don't want to screw around a burn up my new parts. I am also not very good with electricals.
83 MQ Patrol - SD33
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Generically: remove the wire from the 12v feed, when you connect the one from the 24v feed. Connecting the both at the same time shorts one battery.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dieselscout80

Re: 24v help

Post by dieselscout80 »

RMP&O wrote:I have this 83 24v SD33 Patrol. The previous owner put in 12v glow plugs which he wired up through a 12v solenoid or relay. Power was pulled from one of the two batteries and it has a push button on the dash. This worked ok when it was warm out but now it is cold, ie here in Wyoming below freezing. We hit -8 one night this week. Now I don't like 12v stuff in my 24v system and on top of that the 12v g/p I don't think are getting hot enough when it is really cold.

So I bought some 24v glow plugs for the SD33. I also bought a new 24v solenoid. But I wired it up the same as the 12v stuff since I am unsure how to supply 24v to the solenoid and thus my 24v glow plugs.

So my question is how do I safely wire up and supply 24v to the new solenoid and glow plugs? I tried to add a second wire from the other battery so that I had 2 wires to the solenoid both coming from the positive on each battery. But this caused the second wire to get hot and start smoking. Had I not unhooked it right away it would have melted and maybe caused a fire.

I know this is simple to do but I don't want to screw around a burn up my new parts. I am also not very good with electricals.

You'll need to find where the two positive battery cables meet to make 24 volts.

Does your patrol have 12 or 24 volt accessories?

If it has 12 accessories then you have series parallel switch.

If 12 volt accessories then you have a series parallel switch and that is where to get 24 volts at.

If your accessories are 24 volts then I would bet they meet at the starter.

Carey
Diesel Scout
dieselscout80

Re: 24v help

Post by dieselscout80 »

RMP&O wrote:I have this 83 24v SD33 Patrol. The previous owner put in 12v glow plugs which he wired up through a 12v solenoid or relay. Power was pulled from one of the two batteries and it has a push button on the dash. This worked ok when it was warm out but now it is cold, ie here in Wyoming below freezing. We hit -8 one night this week. Now I don't like 12v stuff in my 24v system and on top of that the 12v g/p I don't think are getting hot enough when it is really cold.

Does your patrol have 12 or 24 volt accessories?

If it has 12 accessories then you have series parallel switch.

If 12 volt accessories then you have a series parallel switch and that is where to get 24 volts at.

If your accessories are 24 volts then I would bet they meet at the starter.

Carey
Last edited by dieselscout80 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Diesel Scout
RMP&O

Post by RMP&O »

It is just a basic 24v system....from Nissan this way.

I have 2 red top optimas in the truck. Positive on the #1 battery goes to the starter. Negative on this battery goes to the positive on the #2 battery. Negative on the #2 battery is grounded to the chassis. As far as I know this is all stock, normal and how it should be.

What is confusing me is the 12v stuff was wired from the #2 battery, ie off the positive terminal. If this is where I have 24v then why 12v stuff wired from here? The 12v stuff worked fine I am just looking for better starting when it is cold and to not have 12v parts mixed in with my 24v truck.

Everything in the truck is 24v from the alt down to the smallest bulb. The only stuff that is 12v is what the p/o wired up. That is what I am trying to remove, starting with the glow plugs.

It was getting dark last night. I will put a volt meter on it this morning and see what I have.
83 MQ Patrol - SD33
dieselscout80

Post by dieselscout80 »

You'll have 24 volts at battery # 1 postive terminal the other good place is at the starter.

I edited my 1st post to remove the incorrect part.

Carey
Diesel Scout