Leaking Heater

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

i look up the heater core in the japanese manual,as of 1991 it is listed as NLA.the australia matrix is completly different and locally made.

as a guess the part number looks like from another nissan.we recently ordered japanese heater core from an importer for under AU$80 including frieght.it fitted a large range of nissans.plastic tank and alloy core.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Good solid advice, Al; I do not want to be having to do this job again. But I must admit I did not follow it. Needed the car operable ASAP, was able to get the heater out of the JY Maxima soon enough (much faster when you don't need to keep track of all the screws and wires) and took it to the radiator shop to have them check for leaks. Checked out OK, although it needed 10 minutes flushing and reverse flushing to remove all traces of the stopped-up crud (mud!) that was clogging it.

Buttoned 'er all back up, am left with only 2 extra screws, managed to lose just one tinnerman nut, otherwise everything seems solid and no new squeaks or rattles. Was able to apply a small bit of lube to the speedo cable, we'll see if that quiets the chatter when driving the car after it has been sitting in the low 30's degrees F.

Had a scare upon first test, was getting good heat yet defroster kept fogging the windshield. Thought the new heater developed a leak yet didn't smell like coolant, more like wet dog. Then realized the outside surface of the matrix was still probably wet from my cleaning process prior to installation, this evaporation was sending steam thru the defrost vents.

Several days later w/ no leaks, good heat, but I know it is probably a ticking bomb. Sometimes we have to take the second-best solution. Could not stand another of my twice-weekly 1.5 hour commute to Olympia w/o heat in this weather. Temp inside the car never got above the 30's F. Took several minutes to fully straighten up after getting out of the car. Shouldn't complain, I know, look at the Donner party.

davehoos, what was your source?

Next cooling system project: Install freeze-plug block heater. (I know they're not really freeze plugs.) Got a couple new (various thickness) o-rings for it, we'll see which works best.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Carimbo wrote:Next cooling system project: Install freeze-plug block heater. (I know they're not really freeze plugs.) Got a couple new (various thickness) o-rings for it, we'll see which works best.
About that, where would one go to get an engine block heater for an 81-83 Maxima diesel? Anyone know of any quality heaters for a decent price? Can Nissan still get them? I might want to look into installing one for my car. Thanks.

Salvy
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Do a search on this forum, "block heater specs," there is a thread on it.

Take a look on this catalog PDF:

http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/pub_AppGuides.asp

Maybe you can order it thru NAPA?
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

davehoos, what was your source?

I live on the east coast of australia.the workshop i work for purchases parts like this everday. a range of heater cores recently from canberra and these are exactly the same as original part.this importer had new heater cores for late model cars/vans in stock.they sent a catalouge that listed the nissan part number shown to suit a 810 over here it fitts patrol R31 and others.

we purchase from this supplier toyota gen matrix to suit vans. these are not available yet from the dealers without ordering from japan,and not covered by warranty.

heater cores are easy to buy from many competitive sources.most come from singapore suppliers from malaysia or china.normally from the original part manufacturer at the same quality.

idea on price mark up chrysler pt cruiser RHD evaporator about AU$1500.
wholsale parts company in geniune parts box AU$98

nissan:I can often buy genuine parts at 50% of trade price from the dealer.the dealer next to my work is a distubution center for gen parts.if they have old parts on the shelf they can wipe of the books at near cost.
calsonic radiator to suit N13 AU$130

I went to a trade show recently and aquired catalouges for radiators and heater cores.from china.many are original suppliers for european manufactures.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

ebay.

this is a picture of R31 heater core.same as silvia,and GQ patrol late 1980's early 90's.these are RHD so the hoses may be reversed.OEM is a brand name and are not cheep.