CN4-33 variant

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

CN4-33 variant

Post by asavage »

From an eBay auction:
4 cyl. diesel engine made by the Nissan Diesel Motor Co. LTD. Model # CN4-33 , Ser. # 143089 , Rated Out Put 48HP at 3200 RPM , Cont. Out Put 36HP at 2600 RPM. This engine was removed from an aircompressor. I got it about 6 years ago from the estate of someone I knew. He told me that it had been rebuilt and was in the process of putting it in his boat . . . This is also the same engine International put in their diesel scouts and pick ups. To all you watchers out there and those who have asked about the price, the engine alone is worth a whole lot more than $1200. Go try to buy a new one of any size for $1200!
Interesting points for us SD afficionados:
  • Mechanical tachometer drive on what looks like a cast alum. cover for the IP timer case;
  • No vacuum pump on alternator?
  • Different/larger starter?
  • Distributor-style IP. Is this the CAV?
  • Interesting outlet on the exhaust manifold;
  • Interesting crankcase breather as contrasted with a road draft tube or recirc system;
  • "Single hump" oil pan;
  • Inverted canister oil filter;
  • Yet another intake manifold variant.
Image Image Image Image Image

Another eBay auction has another one of these:
Chrysler Nissan Diesel Engine Long Block, model CN4-33 ND, Model SD 22 PU, Serial # 141843, Rated output 48 HP at 3200rpm
cont. output 36 HP at 2600rpm
Image Image Image

Looks like the mechanical Kiki Diesel IP . . . is this the MZ governor?
philip
Deceased

Re: CN4-33 variant

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:SNIP- Looks like the mechanical Kiki Diesel IP . . . is this the MZ governor?
I have not found the correct model designation for this IP featuring manual/mechanical fuel rack control. It does have a flyweight RPM limiter.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"