Wobbly Sideview Mirrors

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Carimbo

Wobbly Sideview Mirrors

Post by Carimbo »

Haven't yet figured out how to tighten down the sideview mirror housings to the doors. Anybody know? They don't give that great a view anyways, and the wobbles just make it worse.

Also: there seems to be stubborn waterspot mineral buildup on the mirror glass. What gets rid of that? Vinegar?
83_maxima

Re: Wobbly Sideview Mirrors

Post by 83_maxima »

Carimbo wrote:Haven't yet figured out how to tighten down the sideview mirror housings to the doors. Anybody know? They don't give that great a view anyways, and the wobbles just make it worse.

Also: there seems to be stubborn waterspot mineral buildup on the mirror glass. What gets rid of that? Vinegar?
My wagon suffers from the same thing. I have been meaning to fix it.

I believe there is a nut on the inside of the door. Tightening it should secure it more firmly to the door.

A razor blade and some glass cleaner would work well for removing the film from the mirrors.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Mine's worse: it's loose from the mirror head to the mirror base. And you can't get to it to fix it: I tried it out in the JY, and invariably the mirror's plastic mountings break when you attempt to remove it to get at the screws.

I shoved a bit of shim material + RTV under the mirror hsg and that worked. Better than breaking it to "fix" it.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
moose60

Post by moose60 »

---Al Savage---
"The man who can fix anything with a blob of RTV "
:wink:
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hmmmm. Well, I do like RTV's vibration and electrical insulating properties. IMO, it can be superiour to duct tape.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
moose60

Post by moose60 »

It is great stuff. I'm just razzing ya because I've seen you post about using it a few times on non-standard items. I'm not actually accusing you of mis or overuse(like my friend who did extensive resealing of a Bronco transmission and transfer case. Gee, I wonder why it's leaking? Oh, you didn't do any gasket scraping or even replace the gaskets!) [/i]
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine