Fuel Filtration Scares Resolved

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

TooManyIdeas

Fuel Filtration Scares Resolved

Post by TooManyIdeas »

As some of you guys remember me freaking out about poor filtration into the lift pump, I decided to remedy the situation. I know I'm being a bit paranoid, but what the hell.

Old Set up

Lots of crap at the bottom, makes me wonder what was making it through the approx 1/16" holes in the mesh.

The new system I've dubbed Phase 1

Not much gonna make it through the 2 micron filter normally used on big rigs :twisted:

I put an inline filter without the filter before the new setup so I would be able to identify leaks quicker. That and I like seeing the fuel :roll:

Phase 2: I plan on adding a real fuel water separator to the system that will replace the secondary fuel filter

Phase 3: A fuel air separator that would replace the lift pimp and the OFV at the same time
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

That's a pretty filter. I like Baldwin. I'd like to see the bracket that holds that to the firewall.

You'd best go to an electric lift pump before that filter then. Even minor crud is going to overtax the OEM lift pump, which is not designed to suck well. Though I once measured 11" vacuum on mine, I wouldn't expect it to do that for very long!

And if you add a lift pump, what will filter the fuel to it? AHAHAHAHAHA! Chicken, meet egg.

Yes, I think you're nutz. I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I might scrap the OEM Secondary filter in favour of something like what you've installed, but not the primary, which is there only to keep boulders, bugs, and screws out of the lift pump. Not many lift pump failures on the SD.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Re: Fuel Filtration Scares Resolved

Post by philip »

TooManyIdeas wrote:As some of you guys remember me freaking out about poor filtration into the lift pump, I decided to remedy the situation. I know I'm being a bit paranoid, _SNIP_
Tell me about that diesel fuel turquoise COLOR. It looks like Winterized still here in June! That's the sort of stuff that contributed engine knocking in my engine until warm up.

How about a fuel pressure gauge on your dash view?

Where's your air filter gauge? Don't want dirt clogging ya down.

Trick truckers have a pyrometer. Ya gonna get one SOON?

Does your DPC still shut off your engine if/when your engine oil pressure fails?

How about a starter/ammeter drawer?

How about a brake line pressure gauge?

WE got quick special about how to fix your under dash heat fan leaks.

Come on! :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Philip, don't you know that turquoise is one of New Mexico's main exports :lol: . Actually I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be that color. But like I said I don't really have a chose in what comes out the pump. My truck doesn't knock during cold startup so my best guess is either laziness on the fuel supplier’s part or it has something to do with the elevation

However I got a buddy who is about to start making some home brew biodiesel. Other than the viton lines got any advice for a swap over?

As for the bracket I made it out of .080" 347 1/4 hard stainless.

I made it to utilize the factory holes. It may look flimsy but trust me it aint goin anywhere. The factory sheet metal screws however are a different story. But this setup is only till I go to Phase 2 and 3. The Air/Fuel separator has a built in pump meant to replace the factor lift pump.
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

TooManyIdeas wrote:Philip, don't you know that turquoise is one of New Mexico's main exports :lol: .
I saw ... and chose "turquoise" color in you area. When I was semi driver, I can't recall a truck stop that didn't have Navajo turquoise stuff. All the south western places!

-SNIP-
TooManyIdeas wrote:However I got a buddy who is about to start making some home brew biodiesel. Other than the viton lines got any advice for a swap over?
Al has LONG AGO vented about bio-diesel on several forums here. I say ... while you have a bunch of $$$ to waste then ... have fun. Learn a LOT(:shock: :? :x :roll: :wink: ). I've tried and learned ... I'm back on D2 (thankyouverymuch).
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

go I take it Biodiesel is more truble than its worth
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

BlueSun Biodiesel (blended in Alamosa, CO) has a blue tint to it. I believe it to be a dye because no other biodiesel I have used has the same color.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I love biodiesel. I don't like WVO/SVO. That's the summary of my opinion.

Making biodiesel (transesterified oil) requires rigorous process control to yield consistent fuel quality. Inconsistent fuel quality leads to almost certain engine damage. I don't make my own BD, I buy it.

Our biodiesel is purchased, I think from Sequential Fuels in Seattle (a large BD plant is being built in Aberdeen, online in the next year I think), and our BD is golden in color. It's slightly but noticeably more viscous than D2, coming out of the nozzle and into my Maxima. As Philip has noted, it smells a bit like house paint ;)

I love biodiesel. No sulfur (no acid rain). Mostly carbon neutral. Domestically produced (so far). Less smoke (in my rigs) than D2. Cleaner lube oil (at least that what it seems to me; I just changed the Maxima's oil at 4000 miles and it seems less ugly than previously; first full OCI on that engine with BD only as the fuel).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:-snip- As Philip has noted, it smells a bit like house paint ;)
The stronger the biodiesel mix ... the stronger the stink of "house OIL paint" it is. That tells you peoples a clue about why rubber fuel lines need to be specific. I have found that pressure oil rubber lines for ATF (automatic transmission fluid) has worked ok on my SD22. But I do not use 99 biodiesel all the time. Matter of fact, the local stations only have B20 mix.
asavage wrote:I love biodiesel. No sulfur (no acid rain). Mostly carbon neutral. Domestically produced (so far). Less smoke (in my rigs) than D2. Cleaner lube oil (at least that what it seems to me; I just changed the Maxima's oil at 4000 miles and it seems less ugly than previously; first full OCI on that engine with BD only as the fuel).
OCI? What's that? :wink:

At fuel stations having biodiesel, is there "Winterized" biodiesel were appropriate? Tell "TooManyIdeas" a little about cold and high elevation around ABQ, NM. :wink:(5,355'). It takes only 35 miles driving to Sandia Crest (10,678'). 25 miles flying crow.

Hmmm.... one SHOULD be smart about that "Altitude Compensation" on the injection pump.

Sandia Peak Tramway
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

TooManyIdeas

Re: Fuel Filtration Scares Resolved

Post by TooManyIdeas »

philip wrote:
Tell me about that diesel fuel turquoise COLOR. It looks like Winterized still here in June! That's the sort of stuff that contributed engine knocking in my engine until warm up.

How about a fuel pressure gauge on your dash view?

Where's your air filter gauge? Don't want dirt clogging ya down.

Trick truckers have a pyrometer. Ya gonna get one SOON?

Does your DPC still shut off your engine if/when your engine oil pressure fails?

How about a starter/ammeter drawer?

How about a brake line pressure gauge?

WE got quick special about how to fix your under dash heat fan leaks.

Come on! :wink:
I'm working on it hehehehe :wink:
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:At fuel stations having biodiesel, is there "Winterized" biodiesel were appropriate?
There is no uniformly-applied policy.

Our distributor doesn't do anything to the fuel for winter. I don't know how they get it out of the tanker when they deliver in December. We have a small space heater in our storage trailer that keeps the fuel at about 50°F. I put out 2/4/8oz PE (polyethylene) bottles of Power Service Biodiesel Anti-Gel treatment in the trailer as a self-serve sort of thing, they sold well but I didn't get any feedback as to how well it actually worked.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:
philip wrote:At fuel stations having biodiesel, is there "Winterized" biodiesel were appropriate?
There is no uniformly-applied policy.

Our distributor doesn't do anything to the fuel for winter. I don't know how they get it out of the tanker when they deliver in December. -snip-
For "TooManyIdeas"
:wink: Are you suggesting that pure biodiesel 99% turns from liquid to yogurt well above ice (32°F) ? :wink: What about my big $$ micron trick filter(s)? :wink: Do I heat my truck or do I mix with D2 diesel? :wink: Maybe mix with exotic chemicals?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

If you have any truck junk yards near you check out the mid/late '80's Isuzu cabovers with the 4BD1T engine. They use the same lift pump as our trucks (and a very similar IP) and have a neat two stage filter head and water separator that is easy to transplant. I would imagine that the Nissan/UD's were much the same but I have never worked on one.......
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Phillip what are you talking about. You were the one who commented about the winterized fuel. I made a guess on why it was that color and mentioned a friend was making bio diesel. What did you think I ment? I'm pretty confused?
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

TooManyIdeas wrote:Phillip what are you talking about. You were the one who commented about the winterized fuel. I made a guess on why it was that color and mentioned a friend was making bio diesel. What did you think I ment? I'm pretty confused?
Don't worry, you're not alone. :wink:
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD